1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a loose wire cause buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Growly Lytes, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    About the active preamp on my Lyte Bass.
    Its starting to buzz at low or high levels & never did before at least i never heard it before.
    My question is.....Can an active preamp start to buzz from loose wires within the bass & how does this just happen if i havent touched it inside ?
    If a wire has come loose but still attached can it cause buzzing while playing the bass ?
    All controls work but a buzz can be heard.I noticed when i took the back cover off that 1 wire around the harness & a couple others around the inside are attached but very loose even just hanging on by a couple of wires but still there, could this make the bass sound horrible & buzz ?
    I changed the 9v battery & tried the bass on another amp with different leads & the same !

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It depends on what you mean by "loose". If the ends of the wires are not securely bonded to their connections by proper soldering, then yes absolutely that can cause buzz and all kinds of other problems. If you just mean the vinyl-coated middle parts of the wires are loosely situated in the cavity, not tied down, then no that by itself will not cause any buzz.

3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Exactly as you said i see the wires internally are connected but they are just being help in place by a tiny bit of solder i cant even see.The thing im getting is.... the wires are still soldered but very very loose i can move them from side to side very easily.When i looked inside the cavity i see the wires are connected but a few of them loose but still soldered.If i was to tug on them slightly it would come off i quess !
    What can make the solder come off the points when im not touching anything inside ?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the soldering was done poorly in the first place, then it can crack apart from wiggling, vibration, being dropped, etc. Are the pots securely tight in place, or do they move around when you turn the knobs? If they are or were loose, then their movement can strain the solder joints.

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Nop the pots arent moving but they are scatchy at the moment.
    I just read an article about 9v batteries & that they arent good around 8v & wont give their best preformance anymore.I tested the 9v in the bass & it checked out at 8.3v so im quessing again but the battery & poor solder joints have made the bass sound a little mushy & distorted.
    Ive got my fingers crossed & trying a few more basses tonite to pin point it.
    Ive booked the bass in for a whole resolder with a tech on Monday & hoping for results there.