Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a Marcus miller jazz bass sound like a standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Dec 8, 2004.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Im on the lookout for a jazz bass- something like an american standard but have been offered a MM for a good price- if this was modded to have a true pre-amp bypass and a passive tone control added would it be in the ballpark of an american standard?

I understand that the pickups are single coil (due to the hum it was putting out) so presumably they woud make a big difference as well....

cheers

Philip

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a Marcus Miller Jazz with the true pre-amp bypass switch which does make a difference. The bass is passive mode does sound like a passive bass withhout tone control but will not sound exactly like a standard jazz due to the badassII bridge and the rear pup location. I also have a MIA series jazz in natural/ maple and they sound very much different. My Mia 75RI bass sounds like the MM bass when the MM bass is in passive mode.

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Thanks!
    I suppose I'd like a jazz bass which can do a good passive jaco growl then a switchable preamp for the more Marcus kind of sound.
    Would I be right in thinking that I'd be better off with a standard maple/rosewood/alder than Maple/Ash?

Im probably going to look at the Mexican standards as well....

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You might wanna think standard jazz, MIA or MIM and use an outboard pre-amp like the Aguilar924 or the Sadowsky stompbox. But remember, The MM bass has a different rear pup location along with the BAII bridge and that in it's self makes a difference.

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Right Im just off to try a MM along side a standard.....

Oh yeah is there a way to get rid of the hum when one pickup is soloed other than changing pickups to dual coils?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

For a Jaco growl it might be tougher to get with Ash.

7. Would one of you MM owners please post a measurement for me?

I'd appreciate a tape measurement: the neck side of the 12th fret, to the center of the pickup pole pieces.

Please take this measurement for both the neck and bridge pickups, so I can add it to my spread sheet.

8. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Really liked the MM jazz- it has the nicest neck ever! Only problem is that there is so much single coil hum that its imposible to play it with out both volumes on full! Is this the case with all the MM basses of is to do with the place I tried it out? I didn't notice as much hum on the standard jazzes and they are supposed to have single coil pickups as well.
    Anybody know a way round it?

9. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    hi bgavin,I measured them as follows,10.827 and 14.874 inches.just to make sure check it with other owners as well.anyways,hope it helps,laters

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    John East is making a custom J-Retro Deluxe preamp with a MM control plate. Its got a passive tone control and a true preamp bypass. That might help to dial in a more authentic passive tone (i.e. with the passive tone control and the preamp bypassed). Just something to consider.... its not a cheap preamp though.