1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a OLP makes good sound after changing its pu?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txl, Apr 8, 2006.

1. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    I cant afford too much $$ on a MM,
    but i really like MM's sound, sincie i know OLP is a lower brand,
    but is it really bad in the quality?
    If i mod it with a better pre and pu, can it get a better sound?
    can it at least compare with SUB series?

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    ill say this. one of the bets bass sounds i heard at my last gig was an olp thru a used hartke 350 with hartke 4 10. it was a stock olp too.

stock pup.

and im comparing to a musicman stingray thru an ampeg pro 350 and 8 10 stack, and a sterling through a carvin pro and sunn 4 12.

nuff said.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You may want to check out the Tony Levin sig, I've heard some good things about that...

4. They are great guitars! i have one with maple fretboard and stock passive u.s and it sounds just fine, nice and zingy. if you put active electrics in it youll have the same sound and flexability as a stingray, (i dont care what the rest of you say its true, and thats final!!:spit: )
    Just make shure you play a couple and take a good one home!.:hyper:

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    If only it was a 4-string... :crying:

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know what you mean...that and I just prefer the oval pickguard to the uh...guard that takes up most of the body.

7. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    Really nice?
    I consdiering if it is worth on mod it with better pups

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, another problem is the necks isnt GREAT. maybe getting like.. an american neck. and attaching it. then itd b honestly pretty damn perfect.

my neck was garbage. truss rod was so bad. it snapped inside the neck. its now in pieces under my bed, awaiting a neck from mighty mite and new pots (the stock wiring job and pots were bad).

but the body is great, pup is great, and it looks damn cool.

9. I am thinking of buying a OLP 4 string. Sounded great through Ashdown 300H and Hartke cab.

10. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    The most make me worry is about the neck also.

It is really that badon the neck?
    As i see in the pics of some OLP on ebay, they looks reallly no good...

11. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Well, I'm taking in my MM2 this week to have a second Bartolini MMC pup added. I will place it between the original pup and the neck; that should produce a decent thump I think.

I'll be leaving it passive and just have vol, vol tone

I'll let you know how it sounds

Mike

12. I installed a Bartolini preamp in my OLP & at this point I'd say it sounds very close to a SUB or genuine Stingray.
    Incidentally I'm selling mine w/ Musicman case.

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i definitely agree though. as far as attention to detail, spot on with musicman america. for 1000 less.

fret job was great on my neck too..

as i said, pots were bad. but i had 3 new ones lying around. and after i resolder it together, get a new guard, and neck. ill b good to go.

14. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    My OLP plays smooth and sounds pretty darn good. I put on Schaller tuners and it kills for the cost.

15. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    oh yeah. i didnt mention that

the tuners and bridge. are god's only enemy.

they blow just a little.

and by a little, i mean falls out of tune in slap. and i had to adjust the action on the bridge daily.

when you add up all the costs. this thing will be worth like.. 600-700 bucks. it starts to seem not at all worth it. great starter bass though. definitely. or if you find a good one.

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I had to file the frets on my OLP 5er, and it took a bit of work to get the action set where I like between the truss rod and bridge work, but it plays nice, sounds decent, and costs peanuts. The B is nice and solid feeling, too, which I didn't expect. I haven't had problems with tuning stability, but then, I played every OLP in the store before picking the one I did--QC is nonexistent in this price range, so try before you buy, and get it from some place that has a return policy.

The pots in mine were fine, and so was the wiring, although I rewired the pup for series, and removed the middle volume knob--I'll be replacing it with a rotary switch to select series/parallel/front coil/rear coil/ out of phase soon.

No complaints about neck quality or electronics from me, though, at least not for this price. It's not my Steinberger, but then, my Steiny doesn't have 5 strings, and cost 8 or 9 times as much. I actually like the pickup, although I plan on installing an EMG active tone control system as soon as I've decided which one. The existing tone knob is fine, but I like active electronics in a bass.

17. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Check this out, mine sounded pretty nice with the stock pup, too.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213840

18. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    you have to change the body wood. It's basswood, and IME basswood doesn't allow alot of low end to come thru because it's a softer wood. my olp sounds great, but it's not a full sound by any stretch.

19. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Mine sounds fine and plays fine.

If you haven't even bought it (or listened to it?) and you are already planning on being unhappy with it (hence modding it) just get something else.

Figure out the tone you want then get the appropriate bass for it. If you want your tone to sound like a 'P' then I would NOT get the Olp. Get a Squier P instead. (Just an example.)

:D

Joe.

20. Wow!

You must get different OLP's to the ones they send us in Australia.

I bought one not long ago, and had to play six of them to find one worth taking home.

...and having said that, after taking it home and playing it properly and having a really good look at it I took it right back - the neck pocket instability was atrocious!

I agree that when you get a good one, the OLP's are great value, but at least over here, they're very inconsistent.