Can a P-Bass Handle a Low-A?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmon, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I am wondering if anyone out there has strung up an American P-Bass with the low 4 strings of a 5 string set and dropped to A standard. Tuning is A-D-G-C. (I know get a 5 right. I hate the chunky necks!) Can the passive pickups handle the low end? I love the P-Bass but I'm wondering if it would do well with this setup. I have a B-Max T preamp feeding a tube power amp in my setup also. Thanks!!!
  2. I think Trevor Dunn tunes to A in Fantomas.

I'm gonna guess it can be done.
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    should be fine... I didn't think that p/up had a set freq-response like speakers... I could be wrong, but I'm going to subscribe to find out either way.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Would also depend on WHICH P-bass. Two from the same year may or may not handle it even. Will depend some on the construction of said bass. Some will handle it fine Im sure, others may not.
  5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Id think it could handle it. but wont it sound/feel all floppy and weak?
  6. my ric really couldnt C F C G but it had terrible stings and i never really tried it with good strings. and i dont think that P bass scale is much longer.

they may be able to handle such tuning cus when i had a p bass i only used it in EADG.
  7. kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Try different guage strings (110-130 low string) and try lowering the pickup. Be patient with the truss rod - or just get something with a graphite neck.
  8. As long as you use heavier strings and set it up for that tuning I think it'l be fine.