Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a SansAmp save a Workingman 4004 head?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by booyah_tko, Aug 3, 2005.

1. booyah_tko

booyah_tko

Jun 1, 2005
    Somebody please help. Will a Sansamp be able to clear the nasally mids on my SWR Workingman 4004 head? I can't afford a new amp at the moment. Would it be wise to cut the EQ on the head and use SansAmp as a straight up preamp?

-aaron

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd try it into the input on the SWR. When I want a fat sound out of my GK, I use my sansamp, when I want to punch through everything, i go straight.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I got a Sansamp for my MAG-300 (which doesnt have nasal mids) and it totally kicks ass... gives my sound a ton of presence, just a lot more energy to it. I would try out a few of the preamps on the market and see which one fits best. The types of strings you are using may help a little too.

4. Back when I had an swr combo I would only use it with a sansamp. Just didn't like the swr at ~~~. I eventu~~~y sold the swr.

5. If the mids are nasal, can you not EQ them out?

Maybe start by putting everything flat and then cutting only (try all of the bands one at a time). If that doesn't work start again and try boosting only.

Where is the Aural Enhancer set at? I know that 12o'clock is not in the "flat" position but 100% of the time that is where mine is and I'm going from a "cutting EQ" state of mind to a "boosting EQ" state of mind. I've been getting a great sound in the rehearsal studio with, gain @ 11o'clock (clips 1/4 to 1/2 the time), bass at 3'oclock and everything else set at 12o'clock. It's an SWR WM 12 combo with a Yorkville 1x15 extention cab and my OLP Music Man 5 string playing aggressive rock. The volume knob is set at 10 - 11 o'clock with the limiter coming on only occasionally.