Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a Sunn 200s hold it's own with a

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveFame, Jan 17, 2006.

1. DaveFame

DaveFame

Jan 3, 2006
    50W orange guitar head paired with a 4x12.

I'm looking at one but I am worried that it won't be enough at 100w.

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    As long as you have an efficient cab. I kept up alrighht with a Peavey 5150 and a 4x12.

All I had was the Sorado (same as the 200) and a 2x15

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It'll be be working mighty hard, but with an efficient 2 x 15" or 4 X10" it's got a fighting chance.

4. I have a friend with the same Sunn 200S and 215 cab she bought new to tour military bases during the Vietnam War. I play guitar through a 40 W Ashdown tube amp into a V30 and two G12T75s. If I turned up all the way I could drown her. I don't because we are making music together, not having a noise volume competition. I have never heard anyone complain that she isn't loud enough and we have been asked to turn down the volume. No, you can't compete with the Orange rig, but you could cooperate.

5. DaveFame

DaveFame

Jan 3, 2006
    I will be running it through 4x10 and 1x15 SVT Classic cabs.

I also found a Sunn Coliseum that I was looking at for those 2 cabs. Would this work better?

Thanks

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    A coliseum would work better yea. If you have the money pick up both and you might be able to slave the Coliseum and use the tone from the 200S with more power. I know I've done that with great success with my Coliseum 300 and Sorado

7. DaveFame

DaveFame

Jan 3, 2006
    I may be able to pick up both....how would I combine them?

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The Coliseum might have a slave input on the back and you would just connect your output jack on the 200S to the Slave jack and the output on the coliseum to your speakers

9. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    With fresh KT88/90's, strong caps and a good bias, paired with an efficient 2X15 cab....probably. A guitar and a 50w tube amp can sure make a lot of high end racket, though.

10. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Hi Dave. First the bad news. A Sunn 200S puts out 60 watts, not 100. The good news. Remember a little festival in Upstate NY called Woodstock?? The place was loaded with 200S rigs and they made out pretty well. :^>)

You've received some great advice from the folks on this thread---and I can always count on Protoz to keep the Sunn flag flying. Thanks Pro. :) I agree, a well maintained 200S with a proper, efficient cabinet--preferably the original Sunn 2x15 with JBL D-140's--WILL hold its own with anything else that's out there.

The best advice on here was use of the word "competition". Are we in bands to blow one another away or to get people to listen to our music? Common sense and cooperation work a whole lot better than more power. When's the last time that someone--besides that one, totally-fried guy who shows up at EVERY gig and sticks his head into your PA stacks--asked your band to "Turn UP!"???;)

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The Ox and I do what we can in your absence. Sunn's are just special and need to be played more!

12. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Protoz....OX....for your long nights spent at the computer keyboards spreading the word of Sunn, and for your loyalty to the Sunn flag, by the powers vested in me via this secret decoder ring that I got in a Crackerjack box in the early 70's, I hereby proclaim that you and Ox shall be known from this day forth as "KNIGHTS of the SUNN". Please kneel as I tap you each on the shoulder with a 1965 Sunn catalog.

Let no bassist challenge you in tonal combat as they will be severely beaten, their families shamed, and they shall have their heads mounted on a stick outside of their local Wal-Mart. :ninja:

PawleeP likes this.