1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a truss rod nut be changed from a hex head to an Allen Wrench style?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, May 23, 2011.

1. By that I mean simple unscrewing one and replacing it with the other. Seems like it would work, but I'm not sure, so I ask.

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Thread match, physical space for the substitution, & availability (of the part) are the variables. First you need to obtain that info before any conclusive "yes or no" can be achieved.

Find your thread size (1), determine if you have the room and clearance for the adaptive unit you plan on using (2). Go to some place like a hardware store that has a large selection of small nuts/bolts, etc in those small trays and find what you need. You MIGHT be able to reduce length by grinding carefully &/or re-threading as needed. (3)

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I think that that is going to be difficult. The reason is that Allen head hardware is usually a screw, not a nut. So, you are asking for a part that is threaded female on one side and Allen female on the other. Not likely a stock item. They are a custom part for guitar makers.

You might look for what guitar uses this, and try to find one that is the same thread as yours and see if you can fit it.

However, in my experience, the hex kind is more robust and less likely to strip out.

4. madmachinist

madmachinist

Dec 28, 2008
    many US builders like fender use #10-32 imperial/inch threads.

i don't know what your neck has , but the fender adjusters
    w/ allen sockets are available as replacements from fender.

whether it will clear the cover plate or not have enough reach.. is another story.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep, if as john grey says all the physical constraints are considered. Whether it works in practice or not depends on all of those things.

John

6. Thanks for the input, all!

Time to get out the calipers and do some figurin'.