Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a V4bh sound louder than an Ashdown ABM300 EvoII??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harry manback, Feb 2, 2006.

1. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    Can a V4bh sound louder than an Ashdown ABM300 EvoII??

I have tried both (and like them both) but haven't had the chance to a/b them. The V4bh is only 100 watts and the ABM is 325 watts, for what I rebember the Ampeg sounded louder.

Can 100 tube watts be perceived louder than 325 solid state watts ????

...I mean 325watts is way more than 100 watts.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A 100 watt tube amp can put out as much as 180-200 watts when overdriven. That said, it also depends on what cabinets you were using it through, as well as EQ.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Probably, even more of a chance with good tubes.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There is a V4BH used (vintage) at my local Guitar Center (ick) that I have had my eye on for a while. It does get quite loud. I'd pick it up (for $600) but I just got a new cab and really don't have the $.

5. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    I used them with 2x10 and 1x15 both running at 4 ohms in the same room (too bad it wasn't the same day) and the V4bh was shaking the room with the volume at 12 o'clock, the other day i tried the ashdown at the same store and i had to turn it up at 12 o'clock too to shake things up (and it's supposed to sound louder not equal, right?).

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Remember that solid-state and tube power section have a tendancy to feel and sound different.

My GBE600 at 425 watts is a lot louder than a V4BH. But the V4BH that I tried shook the room better. My GBE600 is painfully loud, much more than a V4BH, but the Ampeg had a massive shaky-like feeling to it -- the GBE600 was more of a very controlled power.

While not completely apples-to-apples, it's fairly close. And in my own experience, true. Your mileage may vary.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's way too much for a vintage V4B. Talk them down to $400

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Can the V4BH keep up? That's what you want to know. Just do a search on V4BH, and you won't believe all the testimonials. There are guys on this forum who play super loud rock music with two guitarists, each with a Mesa full-stack, and two wild drummers wound up on crank. The 100 watt head keeps up fine even without PA support. Very impressive. ;)