1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a warwick(4) handle a low B setup ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassarch, May 1, 2006.

1. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    So I have a problem.My band has a depeche mode cover night gig ! and for some certain songs -like ''try walking in myshoes''- I need the notes on a loW B.Thats where the problem occurs ...I dont own a 5 string bass! All my basses are 4s. So I have this idea of buying a 5 string set and putting them in one of my basses : BEAD in order.
    My question is can a 4 string warwick handle this 5 string setup ? What are the chances of damaging the neck ?... In brief is there any risk in this idea?

the bass can either be a warwick corvette standard 4 or a fortress one 4..both 98, both wenge necks...

I need some :help:
    Thanx

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It should work fine. I've done this on an Ibanez Soundgear and Fender Jazz on a few occasions. The only problem is you will likely need a new nut, or file it down.

3. +1 w/ Ibanez GSR200 also you might need a trust rod adjustment to compensate the change in tension

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The previous owner of my '97 Corvette Standard used to string it BEAD on occasion; he used a wide low-B screw for the brass just-a-nut. Warwicks can handle it. Heck, IMO Warwicks have among the best 34" scale low B's out there.

So if you have the brass just-a-nut on your Warwick, you just need to get a wider screw slot thingie for your low B and have the relief in the neck set up to accomodate that tuning.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You'll have to file the nut AND the bridge too, unless you get taper-core strings.

Anyway: are you sure you need the low B? I'd say you can do without. Add more neck p-up and play softer near the neck, fretting higher up the neck, and in the mix, the difference would not be much. Of course, you can hear that it's higher, and not as deep, but through many PAs you barely hear the fundamental, you just hear some unintelligible low-end rumble, which the harmonics tell you is a B.
    Just my $0.02

6. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    Unfortunately I have the plastic adjust a nut.Can it also be adjusted for a low B ?
    And Frank I already tried what you adviced to me , during the rehearsals , our guitarist wasnt satisfied with the result so to say ...:(

7. why what was wrong? you might need a professional setup be done to adjust the pickups and the bridge to give proper Inotation, but what do u mean by not satistfied? does the B sound floppy? not enough volume being produced? its hard to give you more advice when we dont know why its not good enough, the only nut adjustment you could need to make is filling it down so the thicker strings fit into the nut instead of reasting ontop of it

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think he meant playing without a low B.

The guitarist is an idiot. Not pleased? So what. If he doesn't like it, then he should get you a 5 :p

9. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    I'm not too hot on things like this, but would drop tuning the E to a D be of any help?

10. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    Sandman , Frank already answered your question.I havent tried the B on my 4s yet .I just played the main riff in the higher notes which apparently didnt satisfy our guitarist .

Frank I promise our guitarist will be informed about your latest suggestion to the problem ;)

rhythm, I need a low C ..Drop D isnt enough unfortunately

Anyway I think I should contact a luthier about this .I dont want to do anything wrong as this is going to be a one night show.
    Thx for all the feedback guys :)

11. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    Rent a five string?
    especially if its only for one night:bassist:

12. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Yes it can.

13. yes you can what??

14. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    I think he answered my topic question :)

15. I have a Corvette Standard fretless strung BEAG with deep talking la Bellas, and it sounds great.

The B has a tapered ball end, so it fits the bridge and saddle without modification. I contacted Warwick about the adjust-a-nut (brass Mk 1), and their response was that the B and E would fit, but one of the other two string positions would require a different sized slot (I forget which). They sent me the screw free.

I suggest that you get the strings, and then see what adjustment you have to make to the nut. The chances are that a slightly widened slot will still be playable if/when you put the previous gauge back on, and if not, the graphite adjust-a-nut is easy to replace.

16. Is it BEAG, or is that a typo? Also, I have a friend who strung his old Carvin BEAD (I know, it's not a Warwick), and although at first it seemed to be fine, after time his neck couldn't take it any more. He eventually had to sell it for a really low price because the truss rod was screwed up and the action was unplayably high.
    -Alex

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's strange. The D and the G are the highest-tension strings of a 4. a B is much lower tension.

18. Yes it's a typo, I meant BEAD.