Can adjust the action on my bass myself or do i need to bring it somewhere?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, Jul 13, 2001.

1. cause i wanna lower the action but there aren't any shops around here. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me how or send me a site.
  2. oh yeah, i have a MIM P-bass deluxe
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well you should be able to adjust the height of your strings pretty easily using the bridge saddles as long as you have the right size allen key.

You can't hurt anything, but you may find that if you lower them too far then you may get fret bass and rattling unless you also adjust the relief with the truss rod.
  4. how exactly do you lower the strings?
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Each of the saddles should have a pair of set screws that you can adjust with the proper allen wrench. Adjusting these screws will raise or lower the action.
  6. yeah! i just lowered the action and my bass is sooooo much nicer now. Thanks for the help guys
  7. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    Go to Fender's Website, They have a very good section on setup. Here is the link. Sorry, I can't give the exact link, you will have to click the Fender icon on the left, then click "Setup" and then "Fender Basses"

8. I lowered mine, but i wasn't too happy with it. My guitarist looked at it and said it was too low because he couldn't fit a pick under the first fret..

But even so i still reckoned it was too high at the 12th.

9. Berme

May 11, 2001
    it seems like you have to adjust the trussrod, Merlin. the neck must be too concave in relation with the strings, so you can have a low action on the first frets and a too high action over 12th fret and above. use the proper allen wrench to tighten the trussrod and get a straight fretboard. if you like extreme low action, Luis Fabara seems to be an expert in this kind of setup.
  10. The neck is fairly straight. i got the guitarist in my band to look at it. he did a ok job with it. I'll just see how it runs.