1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can all dogs swim?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    When I take my daughter's 100 pound pit bull for a walk, we go alongside the beach and he likes to go into the shallow part.

The other day, a woman was tossing sticks into the deeper part and her dogs swam after them.

Will my dog be able to swim out there if I asked him to fetch a stick? I can't swim so wouldn't be able to help him if he got in trouble.

2. When I take both of my dogs to the dog park, both of them like to jump around and swim in the water. I would test it out in shallow water first to see if he likes it, but I'm sure he could swim.

3. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Some dogs don't care for it much, Whippets can swim but they won't put themselves in if they can help it.

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Bassetts sink

5. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Some dogs love the water some:scowl:. Maybe try a small swimming pool for safety sake.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Be prepared to save him when you give it a try.

-Mike

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    No! Not all dogs can swim!

I would say almost every dog (assuming it's healthy) has the capability to paddle its feet in a swimming motion, but that does NOT equate to staying afloat!

Most bulldogs (including mine) sink like stones, as do many other stocky dog breeds. The majority of dogs seem to swim just fine, but don't assume that all dogs can handle themselves in water!

8. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    My aunt's pug loves swimming around in her pool, but my mutt that is like a medium sized dog with corgi style legs doesn't like water, unless it is a dirty puddle.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Seriously? I've never taken my pug swimming, but I figured their heads would be too heavy for them to keep above water. I thought my dog would just float face down......

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Like others said, it's not guaranteed that your dog will be able to swim. Some can really well (my bro-in-law's lab will swim underwater and fetch off the floor of a swimming pool), some not so much.

11. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Pit bulls swim pretty well. An English Bull Dog does not swim at all; they just sink.

Learn how to swim. It could save your life.

12. Be careful - my girlfriends Dachshund can swim, and she'll swim away from you. She almost drowned chasing ducks in the Florida lake (pond) next to my place. I had to dive in, swim after her and pull her out as we could see she was struggling...guess she really wanted one of those ducks...

13. Yep!

14. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Her pug is massively overweight, she feeds it everything, He makes a purring/motorboat sound while he swims. He also tends to lap up the water.

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    [​IMG]

16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    My former Golden Retriever could not at first which shocked us (4 years old, first time in water). Sadly he didn't think to kick his back legs, but after a few days at the lake with us kicking them for him, he got the point and off he went.

First time was terrifying as he went out, splashed his fronts and sunk like a rock with his eyes as big as boulders. I quickly scooped him up and his front claws mauled my wet skin like a bear. Poor guy was scared as can be, but willing to try again. Literally took about 4 hours, but we got him kicking his back legs and within a week of camping he swam across a half mile lake with me and back.

For the rest of his life, if he smelled a lake, he went nuts and would run for the water like a fat guy to a buffet.

17. As a paramedic and former lifeguard I will say only this: Everyone should know how to swim.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I think all animals can swim.

19. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    NO....my wife had a boxer that had to have a life vest, to go in the boat...he sank like a rock

I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it

20. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Only about half of pugs can swim.

Introduce any dog slowly to water and most will get it. Be prepared to go in after them especially if they fatigue or encounter something that interferes with their paddling: heavy vegetation undergrowth, ropes, stronger current, sharks.