Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can an 800RB growl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tekhna, Mar 23, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I always hear them associated with punch, clarity, transparency etc...
    Just curious if they can get a good growl going. I suppose if they are transparent as people claim they are, it depends on the bass then.

2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Did you ever hear Flea play live. In the 90's that is the head he used. Same with Matt Freeman

3. yeah, favor the mids (higher mids in particular) and turn the boost up a little, and you'll get that thing to growl

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's what the "boost" knob is for. I love 800RB's.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yes it will growl, but it helps if you pi$$ it off first!!

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I think of the GK 'familial' sound as pretty aggro. Generally clear but very punchy and 'in your face'. So if that is part of growl, then GK growls in general ... I don't have experience with the recent GK generations. Like the 700 or 700 mk II or 1001 or 2001 but I'd really like to get a little. The older GK stuff always sounded great to me. It's probably heresy but I preferred the GK sound to what I was hearing from Eden and SWR ...

I didn't use the boost know much. Never needed to. I feel that I get a more agressive sound going clean and working with the EQ. Last I recall, all the Boost does is provide an additional gain stage. It wasn't really meant to overdrive the power amp input as that isn't a real impressive sound on a transistor amp. It was meant to provide a foot switchable increase in volume where the user could control the amount of increase.

The sound of transistors distorting is ... unpleasant, unmusical and sort of grating to my ear. Sounding nothing like getting a tube amp nice and hot ... YMMV