Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can an active on stage player/singer effectively use a fretless?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trent-35, Nov 30, 2001.

1. I hope i put this thread into the proper catagory, guess i'll find out. I hear alot of people raving about fretless basses here, and i like to goof around with them at music stores, esp a Godin semi-acoustic i play whenever i stop by Sam Ash, but i sometimes wonder how practical they are in application for a player like myself. Usually when i see a guy/gal playing fretless, they are what i call "nipple picker" and just stand in the back and stare at the fretboard the whole show. Well, that dosen't work for me at all. I can play like that on some songs, but i'm often all over the stage, plus singing, and even talking when playing. I can't be staring at the fretboard constantly and do a show at the same time. I know some upright players who are tremendous showmen as well as great players, but i don't see alot of "showy" fretless players, though i know there has to be some out there.
    About 10 years ago i tried out a fretless Fender P for a few sets, when when i got off stage my gf, and others, asked me if i was pissed off or something. I was just concentrating on playing the **&^ thing properly, and i felt like my intonation was blowing chunks. So, that kinda scared me off of them. What do you guys think? Trent

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. If it's a fretless, why do you even NEED to look at the fretboard?

4. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Side dots.

5. Once you've become as comfortable with a fretless as you are with your fretted instrument, there should be no reason you couldn't move around...

6. I'm not so sure about that. I mean i realize that it takes time to become comfortable with anything, but with certain things i do, i rely on feeling the edge of that fret with my pinky. I'm also not always by my amp, i can usually hear myself, but sometimes the little nuainces are hard to pick up on at times when i'm all the way on the other side of the stage. Trent

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  8. There was a local band at a show I played a week ago with a fretless punk player. He was singing and jumping and using a pick. I believe he was playing a MIM Fretless Jazz.

9. Sting and Claypool both stopped playing fretless on stage years ago--each mentioned serious vocal intonation problems arising from having to concentrate so much on fretless intonation.

10. jack bruce...in his later years.