Can An Ampeg 810 Be Used As Two Separate 410's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass777, Jan 22, 2009.

1. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    I have a bass with two outputs. One for each pickup. I want to run each pickup to it's own amp and cab. What I was thinking is getting an Ampeg 810 and running it as two seperate 410's with two amps if that is all possible. I've heard you can run top and bottom differently but not sure if that just means with one amp. I could just get two 410's but I can get an 810 used cheaper than two 410 new. I'm looking for a giggable rig to play small to medium venues. Will an 810 be overkill?

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Two 410's would be considerably easier to move around.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I don't think the 810 can be run that way. All the drivers are in parallel.

Have you actually tried two separate amps to see if this whole idea is worthwhile?

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    you would just have to go inside and wire the back plate to have 2 inputs ...each connected to 2 sets of 4. The SVT cabs are 4 sealed sections of 210's. I did this in the early 80's with a Sunn concert bass 215 cabinet and through the late 80's till 2002 with SVT cabinets and it worked fine.

5. I never got the chance to get a Rickenbacker, so I don't exactly know how the pickups split for stereo output. But I run an Ampeg B4r into an 8x10E and I can bi-amp my head and go into a 4x10 on top for my highs and a 4x10 for my lows, but I prefer to send 1000 Watts into my cab at 4 Ohms rather than 340 Watts at 8 Ohms into each 4x10. The 8x10 I have has 2 input jacks that already separate the cab into 2 4x10's so you don't have to do any wiring yourself.

I know for sure that you can run an 8x10 as 2 4x10's if you want and I can't foresee a problem with running 2 heads into them, but I wouldn't exceed 400 Watts into each 4x10 (you might start to blow speakers if you do) at 8 Ohms.

Buying a used 8x10 is not only cheaper but better quality than new LOUD Inc. made products. plus you don't have to worry about trying to carry a 4x10 in each arm. I my opinion, the 8x10 is the way to go in every aspect of this situation. If you are worried about being too loud for the venues you play you can always turn down to fit the room you are in. Sending less than your speakers can handle is never going to harm them, and later (when you are playing bigger shows) you won't have to buy a different rig to be loud enough.

I hope this helps you out. All the best. Cheers.

6. I would go with 2 Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II (460 Watts at 8 Ohms) or equivalent heads. It will cost more than 1 head, but you will be able to do what you want with this set up. Cheers.

7. The MarkBass SD 800 (when it comes out), would also be a good option. It will pump 450 Watts at 8 Ohms.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    To answer your question, yes you can run two different heads into the 810e. As long as you don't have the 810HPC model (which is only 4 ohms and is only one connection).

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021