Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can an ampeg svp-pro replace sansamp-bddi?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Dec 16, 2005.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm curious if I got an ampeg svp-pro preamp and paired it with a power amp. Would this replace my sansamp bass driver in my chain, set dirty, which I leave on constantly.
    Thanks

2. Sure. Just put the gain a little higher and you get the nice, signature, overdriven Ampeg tone.

3. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I wonder which sounds better......
    bddi vs. svp-pro....?
    anyone compare the 2?
    danka

4. The SVP-Pro is the real deal. Tubes all the way. The SVP-Pro (and other tube amps) is what the BDDI tries to mimic.

5. hmm_odd

hmm_odd Guest

Dec 14, 2005
    If the SVP-Pro is the same pre circuit as in the SVT-2 Pro . . . i dont like it, much prefer my BDDI's sound to be honest

However, an SVP-CL, that would be a different matter (mimics the original SVT preamp)

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Not really. I use a BDDI in front of an SVP-Pro (which I run clean) for full tilt overdriven GANK. The SVP-Pro will get more of a warm glow if you push it. The BDDI is emulating an all tube head, 8x10 cab, and a microphone ... so theres more to it.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As noted, you could run BDDI --> SVP-Pro --> power amp. Set the SVP-Pro to your usual tone, then kick in the BDDI for additional volume/fuzz/bite/whatever.

8. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I was thinking if I was just going to use a preamp, set on clean, in addition to the bddi on the time, possibly a demeter pre instead of then svp-pro then. I was hoping the svp-pro would eliminate the bddi.
    How does the svp-cl compare to the bddi.
    thanks

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    To my ears the BDDI and the SVP pro are in the same ballpark in terms of tone.
    I prefer the tone of the SVP, but I prefer the portability of the BDDI. The other downside of the BDDI is that it may not provide enough voltage to push power amps to full power when used as a preamp.

10. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I would be using the svp-pro by itself if it can get as constantly dirty as the bddi.
    How's the dirt on the svp-cl?
    Any other options for "dirty" amps?..hehhehe...dirty

Fuzzbass....thats exactly I would do if I got the svp-pro.
    Thanks

11. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The Aguilar AG500 has to be the dirtiest amp I have ever heard. It does clean real well, but when you switch to the dirty channel - watch out!

12. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    jive1- I'll need more watts than that unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be a11 over it.
    Hopefully something in a preamp.

13. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I hear ya. If Aguilar could get that distortion in a preamp or pedal, it would be sick.

14. I do this, but, with the BDDI before my SVT-II, which is pretty useful as the only downside i find with the SVT-II is the lack of a gain control, its also a good thing i spose, keeps it simple and sounds ace :hyper:

Newer ones can push power amps fine i think? the ones with the line level switchs, i never like the BDDI by itself really,altho, direct to board sounds good when recorded imo :)

15. the svp-cl is a very clean pre-amp.
    You won't get much gain type breakup or dirt at all - its the power tubes that did that in the early svt's. It's simply a replication of a clean front end of the svt pre.
    I must admit tho - I haven't tried fiddling with it yet, so maybe some different tubes would break it up a bit earlier?

16. The SVP pro will not replace the BDDI. I have had both. The SVP has a nice warm clean, to a very fuzzed out old school sounding Ampeg distortion, very sweet and smooth. I for the life of me could not get the soulless, harsh, nasty solid state bad sounding grit the BDDI does so well.

:D

17. Fuzzbass

LOL

18. Fuzzbass

IME the SVP-Pro gets dirtier than the BDDI (to do this, crank Gain and Drive so that the clip light stays on). Note that I've mostly used the BDDI with low output passive basses... high output actives will get more fuzz out of the BDDI.

For distortion I definitely prefer SVP-Pro to BDDI. I use the BDDI for milder overdrive and grit.

SWR Interstellar Overdrive. It's pricey and the EQ isn't as versatile as the SVP-Pro... but for outrageous bass distortion, it's an excellent choice! It's a nice pre even if you don't use much distortion.

19. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmmmm i guess i'm coming from left field thinking that all three sounded pretty different to me. I have the least experience with the BDDI, but the Ampeg SVP-Pro had a less 'clacky' sound in the treble, much smoother EQ boosting, and a more high gain type overdrive with the drive cranked compared to the BDDI. I can see where the clean tones can sound similar with the right EQ settings though, since both can 'tube'-up your bass.

the SWR IOD has a more lean-n-mean clean tone. its not tubey fat, but lean with just enough tubey gooeyness to be juuuust noticable. the eq is clean, without the added smoothness of a tube-driven EQ (not good or bad just different, i like both equally) The bridge pickup tends to sound more honky-cutting when soloed with the SWR IOD compared to the Ampeg SVP-Pro. The overdrive sounds when turned up go from gritty, to crunchy, and then either full saturated overdriven (with a 12ax7 tube with groove tube el84) or tubey-fuzzy (with a 5751 tube and groove tube el84), whereas the SVP-Pro goes from grit, to crunch to all out overdrive to almost a distortion-esque sound (with Ei Gold 12ax7's). I'l admit that i never tried a better 1ax7 withthe IOD so you might be able to get a more high-gain-lke distortion from the IOD with a hotter tube, but the other reviews online tend to suggest the same as what i found.

THe SWR IOD also lets you blend in the dirty with the clean which i found really useful, and I miss it dearly.

that said, i really love how my Aggie DB659 sounds when yo ucrank the gain. very full and rich overdrive, but for some reason i could never get good at doing two quick and accurate turns of teh gain and master knobs to get the tone i want inbetween songs with the SVP-Pro and the DB659, probably because i've used the IOD much more and gotten more familiar with it but it was wayyyy more forgiving in getting a nice overdriven tone, the preamp overdrive of the ampeg and aggie require more precision with the gain knob.

i'd also recommending considering getting any preamp whose clean sound you realy like and buying a nice overdrive pedal (heck maybe even a bddi for overdrive use)

20. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    thejohnkim-
    I was thinking possibly a demeter pre for clean and overdrive it with the bddi constantly on. Maybe???
    This depends on how the svp-pro compares to the bddi. I guess I'll have to try out the ampeg head that matched the svp-pro.
    Is it the svt2?
    thanks!!!
    It looks like we have some yes and no...I know what that means....I think. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: