Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can an Avatar 212 cut through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 26, 2005.

1. 212

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. 410

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. I've got a 210, but am finding that it isn't the sound I'm wanting. I could add a 112, but I don't really want two cabs. I want one good general purpose cab. I play an active Carvin through a Hartke Bass Attack pedal and a 300w amp head. Will a 212 cut through a dense track or would a 410 be better?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I haven't played through the 4X10, but i own the 2X12. I'm not sure how it'd react with 300 watts, but i can tell you what i've done. I feed it 750 or 2k and the thing just roars. The tone [depending on preamp & EQ] could cut through a big band no problem, yet it could also easily hang with the rock guys.

That's all

3. I've got an 8 ohm Avatar Neo 210 and it's pretty loud even though my amp is only pumping about 175w into it. If I get a 212 I'd be getting the 4 ohm Neo 212 which is 600w but is apparently pretty efficient. With all 300w coming through the cab it should work pretty well. I had thougt since I can adjust the mids on my bass, on the Hartke Bass Attack, and on my amp, I should be able to cut pretty well. I just wasn't sure if I could cut as well as the 410. I'd really rathar have the 212, and it's even cheaper. Thanks!

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Since you've already got your 10s for mids, the 12s will add more low end, and will be a complement. My 212 cuts through well.

5. I'm actually going to be selling my 8 ohm Neo 210 to add money towards a 4 ohm Neo 212. I just want one powerful a & versatile cab to match up with my amp.

6. bump

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you have the strength to lug stuff & time to save, I'd keep the 2x10 for a great 2x12/2x10 rig. It would probably be quite thick. If you have a safe rehearsal area it could make life easier.

What type of music are you playing?

I imagine a 4ohm 2x12 would get the job done too.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

How about 3 - 12's? Seems to cut thru fine to me! ;)

[​IMG]

9. I had thought about keeping the 210 and having a 210/212 combo, but I don't really have a need for that right now. I don't need that much sound - what I need is a good all-purpose 4ohm cab to utilize all 300w my amp can put out. ("all 300w" - sounds impressive, huh?)

I play mainly classic rock style on my own. Right now the only "gigs" I play are with a worsip team for my church junior high which is usually pretty thick and driving. I have an active Carvin that I play through a Hartke Bass Attack (like a Sansamp Bass Driver with an added shape feature). I want puncy like 10's and deep like 15's - will a 212 do that for me?

10. That is truly huge! You must have the neighbors complaining for days!

Right now I have a 300w amp that can only handle 4ohms. Eventually I would want to get something like a Peavey Firebass 700 and add another 4ohm 210. A firebass is 700w into 2ohms - would that damage a 4ohm 600w 212 speaker cab if it was paired with another 4ohm 700w 210 cab to make the total of 2ohms?

11. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I'm only pushing mine with 300 watts and I've never had a problem cutting through. Best stand alone cab I've ever found.

12. That pretty much seals the deal. I see that 9 say 212 and 6 say 410, but the only people who have actually responded in words say the 212 is they way to go. I had a Peavey Basic 112 and I really liked the sound of the 12. I think I'll go with the Avatar Neo 212.

13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

All my cabs are Avatars. I always feel like I need my 210 and my 212 together to have enough presence. The 212 needs the extra punch from the 10's. But that's just me.

That said, I also have an Avatar 410 NEO cab that does a good job standing alone.

YMMV

14. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I'm glad I could help :) I can't say enough good things about Avatar's 212s.

15. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    That's what I have, and I have never been sorry since I got it a few months ago. Your back will also thank you when you have to pick it up by yourself (us old guys get to say that).

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with the 210/212 rig. I have one and it's a monster unit.

I really like Avatars, but I currently use a Seismic Audio 210 and a SteelSound 212 w/ my GrooveBass 1200 and I get serious tone (and the price is fantastic).

You can't go wrong w/ either Avatar or SteelSound, but DEFINITELY get a 212!!!!

17. Nova, you mentioned tha its the "Best stand alone cab you ever found"

I too have the B212 and think its out of this world. On your signature though you mention an Eden 212. Hows does the Avatar 212 compare to the Eden 212 ?

18. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    The Eden seriously lacks lows. It doesn't take a lot to get the bottom to "fart" out and crack up. Though to be fair, the mids and highs of this cab are amazing. I've heard that Eden's 10-inch speakers produce better low end than their 12's, so maybe it were paired with a 2x10 or something it would suit my needs.

I actually paid almost exactly the same price for both cabs. The Eden was used and the local shop was blowing it out ridiculously cheap. The guy said it had sat there and sat there because no one knew what Eden was aside from myself and the bass player in his band.

It's still a great cab, but I prefer the Avatar.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm seriously considering adding a 2x12Neo to the arsenal. I'm currently using a 4x10Neo that's being pushed by a bridged QSC RMX850, but I do miss some of the growl that comes from larger drivers. My band usually runs full production, so there's really no point to bringing two cabs to a gig, but I'd like two cabs for situations where I don't have PA support.

What do you guys think of one side of the RMX pushing a 4 ohm 4x10, and the other side pushing a 4 ohm 2x12? Any idea what this rig would sound like and what type of volume it would produce?

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    As long as they're the same wattage, I don't think that would be a problem...unless you have the two cabs separated, then you get into the possiblity of it being sonically unbalanced (lows to one side, highs on another)...not a major issue, but it still exists.