1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can an effect pedal substitute an amp head?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by naskoj36, Jan 19, 2012.

1. naskoj36

naskoj36

Dec 1, 2011
    Hey guys! Sure this question might sound kinda dumb but a friend of mine who is beginning to expand his rig asked me if it was totally necessary to buy an amp head. He wanted to know if his boss GT-6b multi-effect pedal was powerful enough to just send a line directly from the pedal to a 4x10 cab he wants to buy. The guy is on a budget and really can't afford the amp head now. He is in a position that is or he buys just the cab or nothing. I really didn't know what to tell him and I got curious. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance and I appreciate your help!

2. I cant see how that would work. Maybe there is something to that pedal that I dont know. But the cab needs power too. An amp head has power AND signal. But the pedal just has signal.

3. This "pedal" can 44-magnum.

but the GT-6b? i don't think so.

4. No, the GT-6B definitely cannot send out a signal powerful enough to drive a speaker. It might be able to put out a line-level signal, in which case he could skip any preamp and go straight into a power amp.

5. naskoj36

naskoj36

Dec 1, 2011
    Thanks for your help! :)