1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can an effect pedal substitute an amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by naskoj36, Jan 19, 2012.

1. naskoj36

naskoj36

Dec 1, 2011
    Hey guys! Sure this question might sound kinda dumb but a friend of mine who is beginning to expand his rig asked me if it was totally necessary to buy an amp head. He wanted to know if his boss GT-6b multi-effect pedal was powerful enough to just send a line directly from the pedal to a 4x10 cab he wants to buy. The guy is on a budget and really can't afford the amp head now. He is in a position that is or he buys just the cab or nothing. I really didn't know what to tell him and I got curious. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance and I appreciate your help!

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm gonna say that he's going to need to get a head, too.

3. naskoj36

naskoj36

Dec 1, 2011
    Ok bro thanks! But is it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? Is it possible to play through a cab with just the pedal? If so, would it sound well?

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm pretty sure a guitarist I know uses a Boss multi-FX unit as a preamp. However, your friend will need a power amp of some sort. An FX pedal is not going to have anywhere the amount of power to move speakers. It will sound like a fart in a tin can.

5. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    You have to have a power amp .The pedal can be used as pre amp only.

6. naskoj36

naskoj36

Dec 1, 2011
    Ok... thanks guys, as always you were super helpful!

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    there is an ehx pedal out there used as an amp i think its called the 44 magnum. I think it puts out 44 watts. its like 200$ so just buy a cheap head.

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The answer is no. His processor will not power a cab. A cab by itself is just a box with speakers in it. The head is the power source.

9. @OP: No, you will need at least a cheap behringer power amp between the pedal and the cab

10. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Someday they will have a pedal that's also an amp ... Shame I wont be around.

11. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Someday they will have a pedal that's also an amp head ... Shame I wont be around.

12. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yeah you will. :)

22-caliber.

13. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    [​IMG]

1-upped!