1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can an MXR Micro amp drive a power amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gmarcus, Oct 2, 2009.

1. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Can an MXR Micro amp drive a power amp?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It can, like most boost pedals. It certainly isn't the best tool for the job though.

3. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    Sorry for the brief post. Here is what I'm trying to do. I have a VT bass driving an Aphex bass Xciter which then goes into the effects return of a Shuttle 6.0. It sounds great! But it doesn't drive the shuttle with a hot enough signal. If I turn up the VT Bass it over drives the Xciter. So I just want to use the micro amp to cleanly boost the signal right before the shuttle. I had an out door gig this week and the shuttle was turned up all the way and the limit light never came on. I think the shuttle can get a little louder. It was driving a schroeder 1515L. The tone was so good, the xciter returns the low end and high end that is missing in the 1515L.

4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Why don't you just use the shuttles effects loop properly (send into VT then to xciter and into the return) and plug your bass into the input? Or run your effects between your bass and the input?

5. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    That was the first thing I tried. The pre in the shuttle in combination with the VT Bass was just too muddy. It actually sounds really good with no pedals, but the VT and Xciter sounds a lot more articulate and agressive so I really want to run it this way.