Can an Ovation sound like a bass?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by keithbwaite, Dec 8, 2002.

1. I play bass guitar in a couple of bands here in France and as I'm really a guitarist, they want me to play electric guitar solos from time to time. What I really want to know is if I can play my Ovation through a Boss OC2 to sound like my bass guitar so that I can switch to ordinary guitar sound for a solo and then back to bass when I've finished?
    I tried one in the local music shop and it produced a sort of continuous rhythmic rumble or drumming sound - dum, dum, dum, dum etc even without playing a note. I presumed it was faulty. Was it just badly set up?
    Hope you can help.
    Thanks in advance
    Keith Braithwaite
  2. why not just do a bass solo????
    or put it thourgh a pitch shifter if u really want to get that high
    or get a 6 string
    or replace your guitarist who doesn't seem to be able to do the solo's, and get another bassist

the possibilities are endless :)

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Keith,

sorry to take so long to reply to your Q here, and the email...

no, an ovation through an octave pedal won't sound like a bass guitar... it will however make an interesting low noise that you might be able to use! :) - I've never tried putting an acoustic guitar through an octave pedal (I don't play acoustic guitar, being the obvious reason for that), but there's no reason why it won't work. If it's behaving strangely, it might be worth trying it with some other instruments to see if the problem is with the guitar or the pedal.

good luck!

4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Another thing to consider

(Fender) 6 string bass or baritone guitar(with or without an octave up pedal.