Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can an svt classic do 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Nov 19, 2004.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    My setup right now is an svt classic with an 8x10 and i have a broken gk 800rb that i want to get fixed. my plan is to get an avatar neo 4x10 for christmas that's 8ohms, then add another 2x10 or 2x12 to go under it once i get the gk fixed. I know the svt can do 4 and 2, but can it do 8ohms as well?

2. if it can do 2 or 4 i think it should be able to do 8. however i have no experince with those and am not an expert.

anyone else?

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    For whatever reason, SVTs have never had an 8 ohm tap.....probably that started because way back when, high power speakers were uncommon, and it took enough speakers for teh 300 watt power to run the impedance down below 8.

Now, without changing the transformer too much, its hard to add it. The windings are already full, and we'd have to add almost half-again more turns of fat secondary-side wire. There probably isn't room.

Besides, you know how "improvements" go, one thing is nicer, others are "worser", half the folks like it, and the other 3/4 think you screwed it up. We've opted not to change what folks are used to.

So, bottom line.....no 8 ohm tap on the vintage SVT, SVT-II, SVT-CL, or other derivatives.

I won't say using it at 8 is guaranteed instant death for the amp. It depends how you play, how close to "8 ohms" the speaker really is, etc, etc.............

But we don't rate it at 8 ohms........and don't recommend using it at 8 ohms either.

High speaker impedances increase the voltage stress on internal parts...........there have been plenty of threads on this issue.

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Truer words have never been spoken. There is a reason it is a legend, and the tone is only part of it.