1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can any amp do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svp, Oct 5, 2008.

1. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    Can someone tell me if there is an amp out there that has two seperate channels to let me have a clean eq and a dirty one together at the same time? I am thinking I would need to have two seperate amps Y'ed together. Thanks for the help:bassist:

2. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Yamaha BBT500H. It has 5 preset channels and a lot of different amp models and EQ to play with, including a drive, distortion, and fuzz settings. It's what I have and it's almost overkill for my uses. I'm actually thinking about selling it...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT-VR, Markbass LMK...

I totally agree, BTW. I would love to see a return to 2-channel amps across the board. But with modern pedals with blends and blendable effects loops, the need becomes less and less, I guess.

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I wanted to do the exact same thing.

A poweramp can drive two separate speaker cabinets (or series of cabs) independently for two separate tones. You need some sort of preamp, maybe two since you want two simultaneous tones.

And once you have a good poweramp you can play around with different preamps, instead of having to exchange the entire head.

Look into preamp/poweramp rigs, that's what I ended up with. Although I still haven't gotten my second cabinet yet...

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    ...of course, you're going to want a Rickenbacker with it's Rick-O-Sound stereo output to run your effects on one pickup and clean on the other.:smug: :D

6. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    depends on how loud you need it to be. if you're fine with 100watts you could look into an old silverface fender bassman 100/135. they have two preamp channels that meet up at the phase inverter. that's it off the top of my head.

7. AnalogPackrat

AnalogPackrat

May 20, 2008
    CA
    I believe the Peavey T-Max head allowed you to mix the tube and SS pre channels instead of just switching between them. Not sure how dirty either channel gets, though.

8. If you can find a used Peavey Mark IV head, it will do this nicely with the channel selector pedal.

You can have A or B or A&B....and both A and B have their own Send/Return jacks.

Also, you can plug 2 basses in (by using the Returns), but when you do that A and B are independent and you loose you effects loops, but you can just change basses and switch over using the pedal which will mute the unused bass. Personally I don't use and FXs so this is how I use mine.

Pretty decent sounding head too.

9. Sparkle drive pedal does what you want all before it even gets to the amp.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Sparkle Drive does it provided that you really like the sound of a Tube Screamer. Still, it's not the same as having two channels and being able to take any pedal made and blend it with a clean sound.

11. marshall MB series, has a Solid state and tube preamp that you can switch between or blend. the tube channel has a boost button for distortion.

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As noted earlier, a "blender" pedal can make any amp into a two-channel amp; but of course that way you have to be using pedals for each channel's dirt and EQ.

13. brobot

brobot

Jun 29, 2008
    Philly
    Meas Titan V12
    Fender Bassman 300 PRO
    Laney Nexus Tube & FET
    Genz Benz GBE 1200 & 750