1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can any micro head power a 4x10 & 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warx, Nov 7, 2010.

1. warx

warx Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Marin, CA
    I would like a rig that can switch between micro head w/ 4x10 and also have a 1x15. I know the LH1000 would work nicely with my current (HyDrive) 4x10 and the 1x15 I am looking at - but I am trying to stay with a small head. There are a couple of heads in the 750-800W range that perhaps might do it. Shame no one is making a bi-amp micro (2x500). Would love a digital version of the LH1000.

Another idea is get a 500W micro just for the 4x10 and then for the 1x15 get a digital sub-woofer amp (Parts Express) and take a line out of the micro head. Crazy? The rig would be very modular - the 1x15 would be basically self-powered.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    both cabs are 4 ohms?

3. warx

warx Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Marin, CA
    both are 8 ohms so it would give me 4 ohms in parallel - perfect for most single amps. I was wondering if 500W or 750W was enough to power both though.

4. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    The GB Shuttle 9.0 only weighs 4 lb and would give you 500 watts into either 8 ohm cab alone or 900 into the pair. There are several good choices out there but this should work nicely and the price is reasonable. The Shuttle 12.0 Max is 2x600 into a pair of 4 ohm cabs but will give 375 watts each into a pair of 8 ohm cabs. The nice thing about that is it will work with any pairing of 8 ohm and 4 ohm cabs and has a very full featured eq section with both FET and tube preamps.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    yeah i think GenzBenz has the most power in a compact size. i would of course say the GK mb2 500 would be a good choice (cuz i have one and like it), but if you think 500 watts total isn't going to cut it then spend the extra bucks and go for the Benz.

6. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Can't think of anything better than a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 or Little Mark III.

7. superbeast101

superbeast101

Sep 6, 2010
    what about the TC Electronic RH450, I know it can power up to 3 cabs of the TC range in any combination,
    rs212, rs210, rs410 ect.

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    "Shame no one is making a bi-amp micro (2x500)."

this can be done. 2 gk mb fusions (or insert micro amp here). use the effects send from amp 1 to imput of amp 2. biamp'd! not the cheapest way, but 500 (or 350 @8ohm) watts to each cab with their own eq settings and volumes.

9. shuttlemax 12. love mine in every way. has been two years since i've had it, and it might be the last amp I may ever own.

10. I second the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yet more Genz-Benz love. Fantastic product, and you won't need more power than the 9.0 or 12.0 provide.

12. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I tried a Carvin BX500 through a 4 ohm 2x10 stacked on top of a 4 ohm 4x10. The amp operates at 2 ohms no sweat. Sounded very good.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The ShuttleMax 12.0 right off the shelf IS exactly this, in a single package.

Of course, the proper use of the term "bi-amp" involves a complementary high pass and low pass filter (a low pass on the low amp and a high pass on the high amp) to split the full range signal into 2 bands. I think you ment "dual-amp".

14. warx

warx Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Marin, CA
    OK, a lot of talk of the Shuttle. I need to check that out.

I just went to a GC and they only had the MB amps. I love my Compressore so I tried a few of the smaller format ones. The F1 seemed pretty nice but no tube. They had a used LMIII and used Little Tube 800 ($549) which were interesting too. I tried the SS-Tube switch that was hotly discussed (I think it was this amp) but not turn it up much and with just a 1x15 MB cab attached.

My local store has the 3.0 and/or 6.0 shuttles - perhaps I can try those for a taste of the 9.0.

Edit: regarding bi-amp - yes meant bridgeable or separate dual amps. The 12.0 is about the price of two 500W amps though and power into 2x8ohms would be close to the 9.0 (975W in parallel). I think maybe the 9.0 is my sweetspot (especially the size)....

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i suspect that bi-amping may not be the best way to get the most juice out of your rig.

unless you've got a 2x10 on top of a 2x15 (in which case crossing over at around 100-150Hz makes sense), letting each cab get full range will give you a louder, punchier sound.

also, asking whether 500 watts is "enough" to drive a 4x10 and a 1x15 is kind of a nonsense question. you could power both cabs with a 50 watt practice amp and it would work just fine, only at lower volume.

if say, 300 watts is loud enough for you with one cab, it will be more than enough with two, as more speaker area means more efficient sound production.

any head, micro- or not, that can run a 4ohm load can power two cabs.

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    also, don't make the mistake of thinking 4x10=highs and 1x15=lows.

a typical 4x10 has way more speaker area and will produce more low end than a 1x15.

the 1x15 will actually have more of a punchy midrange, while the 4x10 will have a bigger, flatter response (more highs and lows, mids scooped out a little due to phase cancellation from the multiple speakers).

your strongest, most efficient setup will be two identical cabs of whatever type, so there's no phase differences between them causing loss.

i like 15s, so i use two of them to give me a fat, old-school rock tone.

17. I've got a BX500 and BRX10.4 and BRX10.2 neo cabs and most of the time now I just use the BRX10.2 and the BX500. People are blown away at how much sound this small combination can put out. It is pretty amazing.

18. Rossman59

Rossman59

Apr 23, 2007
    Evanston, IL.
  19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

I own one, and its 500w RMS....very freakin loud. With my giant drummer (6'5", giant to me lol), I've never had to go past 3 on master volume. The cab im using with it is just an Avatar neo 2x10 cab. Give em a try, they sound awesome and are like $400.

20. warx

warx Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Marin, CA
    Interesting about the two 4x10s as opposed to adding a 1x15. I guess I am just thinking of the old school classic stack. My 4x10 is sealed and I think the matching (HyDrive) 1x15 is sealed too. Not sure if that means it still applies (that is the 4x10 still has more low end if the low is limited by no port). My last stack was 20 years ago with Trace Elliot gear back in the UK.

Regarding the "enough to power" question; it was implied I was referring to volume but yes I am looking to upgrade from an old 3500 head that delivers only 240W into my single 4x10 at present and go "micro" in the process - not go down the LH1000 & flight case route

The 9.0 shuttle would deliver 500W into the single 4x10 - that's over double what I can get now - that might just get me my volume bump without getting a second cab. If the Shuttles tone is similar to the Hartke sound I think I've found my No.1 contender.

Thanks!!!