Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can any modern keyboards get a good vintage Rhodes sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aram, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Looking for a moderately priced (> $1k) keyboard that has vintage rhodes sounds, and maybe some decent piano as well...any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm told Nord(the Electro 2, especially) is really good at vintage key sounds.

3. Believe it or not, I find the Alesis QS6 (or 7 or 8) has the best rhodes sounds. You can even modify the sounds to fit your taste.

EDIT: Or why not just buy a real rhodes?

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Geoff -- I'm not sure, I always assumed Rhodes' were kind of expensive/in demand...Also, don't some of the vintage ones have problems (like finding replacement parts, etc)? I'm completely keyboard ignorant when it comes to gear....

I will definitely look into the QS6, though.

Cheers,
    Aram

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup, great rhodes and organ sounds. the rotating speaker simulator is sounds pretty darn good.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Bard- I didn't even see your post, sorry about that! I will look into the Nord (thanks Narud for bumping it, I might never have seen it).

Cheers,
    Aram

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its kind of hard to hear but the keyboard player in my band is using an electro 2 in the song thats in my sig if you want to check it out. he likes it a lot more than the rhodes sounds in the roland a90 he was previously using.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Wow that's a killer track. Nice solo man! I can hear the electro 2 decently well because I'm listening on headphones at work.

Here's they guy the got me hooked on the Rhodes sound:

http://www.jonahsmith.com/pages/mp3.html

He's going to be huge I think -- I check him out live all the time in the village. He's got a NASTY bass player too, so it's always a great show.

Cheers,
    Aram

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've gigged with two keyboard players who used the Nord Electro 2.

Great Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Hammond B-3. It's not a full blown synth, it just does pianos and organs and they sound real good. Even has drawbar control for the organs!

Check it out.

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I used to own a Rhodes Mk 73.

A decent one can be found for under a grand.

If you are looking for one just for home use, why not get a real one?
    Though gigging with them is a whole other story. Heavy and bulky.

But the pros of a synth-Rhodes are hard to beat. (that is to say synth's don't have tines or other parts that break or wear out)

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Dave -- I think I will get a real Rhodes down the line, but right now I live in a pretty cramped apartment, so this thing has got to be stowed under my bed. I might set it up with my band sometime as well, so portability is a bit of a concern (but not the end of the world if it's bulky).

The Nord does look promising though...a B-3 is nice as well. I definitely will look into these.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the various Rhodes'? Are they all pretty much the same sound, just different years/shapes/number of keys?

Thanks everyone!

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I did not take into account apt space!! They do take up a bit of area!

You can always find a used one, but praticality comes first. The Nord has some pretty good noises in it and will fit very nicely under one's bed.

I am by no means an expert, but as far as I know, the Rhodes were essentially the same through the years. There are a few variations, ie. number of keys and there was a Rhodes bass version issued as well, but as far as I know nothing too drastic. The Rhodes Stage model does sound a bit different to my ears though...

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Dave. The Nord seems like the ticket. I wish they were a little cheaper, but maybe it'll be a good investment. I'll have to see if any local shops carry them.

-Aram

14. The keyboardist (also plays bass amazingly) in the Attilla And Dave Project brings a Rhodes to his gigs. He also brings a few other analogue synths.

A friend of mine bought a really sweet 88-key Rhodes (fully weighted and everything, of course) for $200. It's in really good condition, apart for a cigarette burn on one of the lowest keys. I've played on it, and man, that thing is just so cool!

For rotary organs, check out the Roland FP5. You can program in your own drawbars and stuff, and it sounds great. The thing I like about Roland sounds is that they are made specifically for live playing. There were a few sounds that I didn't think were very good, but when I used them in a concert, they sounded great!

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Wow, $200? Maybe I'll hold out for the real thing instead...

16. The downside is that you can only get a Rhodes sound on the Rhodes, of course. Otherwise a keyboard might be better if you want to get organ sounds and other stuff, too.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That's a rare price on that Rhodes. Usually expect to pay closer to $1000. The good news is a Rhodes sounds a whole lot like a Rhodes. The bad news is they weigh a ton, take up a lot of space, and sound a whole lot like a Rhodes, when maybe you want a Hammond, or a Clav for this tune.

I'd still love to have one someday. But only if I can put it in a spot and leave it. I started playing back when a fully-equipped keyboard player had a Rhodes with the big suitcase speaker cab and a Hammond with the Leslie. Hernias were not unusual. I think the best thing about the Nord, or even EMU's vintage keys module with a separate controller is those great old school sounds, without the sore back.