1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can any of you figure this out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I was checking out ebay for some Fender Geddy Lee Jazz basses and saw this one.
    There appears to be velcro surrounding the bridge and the owner sawed away pieces of the bridge itself. The he has a Fender Limited edition neck plate added to it with hex bolts and an extra string tree.
    Anyone have any idea what this guy was thinking?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-GEDDY-LE...ryZ64400QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    That he wanted to ruin a perfectly good bass.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Elementary my dear Watson.

The bass probably used to have a midi setup, like the Roland GK3B. That would explain the velcro by the bridge and lower body. I'm guessing that with the Midi unit attached, the owner could not string through the BadAss bridge (meaning if you put it through the hole, it'd hit the midi unit) so he took off the top part of the bridge so he could string it more easily.

Marshall

4. He made the bridge top-loading? It's a great concept... if only Fender and Leo Quan would adopt it...

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I bought a Spector from this same seller a couple of weeks ago....the velcro was used to attach his wireless transmitter:confused:(I emailed and asked) as for the bridge, Spectors are "top loading" bridges, so he probably just wanted to make it easier and faster to change strings..and/or for thicker string gauges. The good news is that the "owner" has probably put a Aguilar pre-amp in it, and these "ISOLDIT" sellers dont know that its in there...thats the way the Spector was...I got it and opened up the cavity, and there was an Aguilar OBP-2 inside.

6. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know much about midi on basses but it sure seems to mess up your bass pretty good.
    What's with the extra string tree though? I'm looking into getting a Geddy Lee Jazz, just wondering if there was a problem that needed to be addressed by adding another string tree.

7. Well, the extra string tree is more like a safety. Some people don't string their A properly, and, when that happens, it doesn't provide enough of a break angle at the nut.