Can any of you help with a purchasing decision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOOM_chucker, Jan 9, 2005.

1. BOOM_chucker

BOOM_chucker Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey everyone - I've been looking through the posts for newbies and found a lot of helpful advice here. I'm hoping for a bit more.

I've rented a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman to start learning the basics and try to figure out what will suit me - I'm starting to notice what doesn't work for me with this particular bass and I'm compiling a wish list.

I'm going to want to get a Jazz bass , probably 34" (small hands) or maybe even 32", something with a thinner neck than the Streamer LX J. I like the sound but the MEC pickups may not be right for me. I want something with decent quality that'll last me for a few years and the versitility for studio, stage, whatever. Budget is around $2 grand.

I'm going to try out a bunch in the stores, and even rent a few different basses before making a decision, but can anyone steer me towards basses I should try that might fit my critera? Thanx!
  2. Peavey Cirrus. Fender Jazz. Spector USA series. thats all i can think of righ tnow that don't have 'baseball bat' type necks
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sure, You'll get a LOT of "HELP" here. We LOVE spending other people's money on things we want. :cool:

I'll give a +1 on bassist4ever's Peavy Cirrus recommendation, of course I LOVE mine, so why wouldn't I recommend it, other than you saying you're looking for a Jazz. With a budget of $2000 your world is pretty wide open and even a lot of custom instrument options (Stambaugh is well within your price range, and Vallenti is probably ideal for what you're looking for, but you can expect either of them to last you more than a few years...)

Of course if you can scrape together another $250, this would be a great idea:

(shamless plug for F's Sadowsky)
  4. BOOM_chucker

BOOM_chucker Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm heading out to do a round of stores later today, and the Peavy Cirrus is definately on the "Must Check Out" list. It seems a lot of people here can't rave about them enough.

Anyone know of a bass that has a 32"? Again, not having the largest of hands I'd like to try out something smaller just to see if it makes it any easier playing up around the 1st fret. Right now I feel as though I'm doing some sort of ancient torture excercises trying to contort my fingers into the right shapes to makes tones that don't buzz like burning toast that can't quite force it's way out of the toaster.... :rolleyes:
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You might want to take a lesson or two to get your technique down. If you're just starting to play bass, it's going to take some time to get your fingers used to stretching across the frets when you get near the headstock.

As for short scale basses, the Rickenbacker 4003 has a 33.25" scale (20 frets) neck.

This bass is only an 18" scale bass, but I don't think it's something you're looking for.
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    It sounds as though you have a number of places nearby you to try out different basses (based on your "round of stores" statement) and that you don't have a whole lot of experience yet ("start learning the basics") and you have a really good starting budget ($2K will get a lot of shop owners paying attention to you). There are some very good instruments available in that price range, including the Cirrus, that will probably perform well for you as you are learning.

Play as many basses as the store owners will let you try (with $2K in your pocket they should give you some slack), both short and longer scale. Pick the bass that feels best to you and then stick with it for a while. We here at TB sometimes become a little over-enthusiastic about a specific bass from time to time and that bass may not be the one for you. Pick and use what suits you best. Many of the brands mentioned here are excellent (Peavey, Fender, Ibanez, Warwick, etc), especially when starting out.

Let us know what you end up with ....
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Keep in mind that scale length has nothing to do with neck thickness and a longer or shorter scale bass will be of no help for someone with small hands. Short arms maybe, but it won't help hand size issues.

I got a Fender P-Bass as it's neck is a good two inches shorter than a Cirrus I sold. I needed a shorter scale because of wrist problems when reaching out on a longer scale bass. The P-Bass has a thicker neck which would affect someone with smaller hands.

However, the Cirrus (even the 5 string I had) has a beautifully thin neck that would work for someone with smaller hands, as would a Jazz bass (Jazzes have very thin necks). A Cirrus is a 36" scale bass though if that matters. A Fender Jazz is a 34" scale.
  8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Fender Roscoe Beck.

Mike Lull.

Sadowsky Metro.

Any of these could last you the rest of your life.

I think the Lakland and the Lull are 34" in the four string version, and then go to 35" for the five string version, and the Fender Roscoe Beck and the Sadowsky Metro stay at 34" even for the five string version. The string spacing is different in these models, so that is something to look at. The pickups in all that I listed are top notch.

9. BOOM_chucker

BOOM_chucker Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    -correct pointbass- not a lot of experience yet, which is why I'm thrilled with being able to tap the wealth of knowledge and experience here at TB. I played for a couple of years between around 16-18, then sold the Warwick Streamer I that I had to pay some bills. Regretted it ever since. Turned 30 this year and I'm getting back into bass again, determined to make up for lost time.

Back from round one of Bass hunting today - disappointed at a more limited selection than I was expecting.

The only authorized dealer of Peavey in the area (at least that I've found out about so far) didn't have a Cirrus in the store. Didn't have any of the higher end Peavey basses available, nor did the guitar shop down the street. I was hoping to at least play with one for a bit today to get a feel for it.

I did however manage to pluck away at a Fender Jazz, and it was extremely comfortable, especially for the fretting hand up near the 1st fret range. The really helpful guy behind the counter suggested I try to test out a Stu Hamm Urge bass, (didnt' have it in at the time) as he suggested the number of pickups would help provide the versitility in sound I'm after.

An Ibanez signature series bass (I forgot to write down which model) felt pretty sweeeeet too. That's sweet with a capital "SCHWEE".

So the hunt will continue. I'd love to try and track down a Sadowsky to try one out, but haven't been able to spot one yet.
    The closest dealer to me is in Seattle. Sounds like I might need to include a road trip in this hunt. I really want to try as many of those recommended as possible before deciding.

Thanks again for the input, all. :bassist: