1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can any one identify this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shirts, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Shirts

Shirts

Mar 31, 2009
    i bought it form some dude on craigslist and all i know is it was made in late 60s early 70s and it has no serial numbers or branding other than the magnum stamp on the head.
    th_SSPX4941. th_SSPX4942. th_SSPX4943.

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Late 60's or early 70's? Is that what he represented it as being? I kinda doubt its that old. It looks recent to me. I don't know what factory made the "Magnum" but it looks sort of familiar. I think I've seen similar basses on ebay - maybe not with that brand name, but with the same headstock.

3. Shirts

Shirts

Mar 31, 2009
    he told me he put new machine heads on it and that he restored it so this could very well look nothing like it originally did

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007

Maybe so. But the only feature on the bass that reminds me of "vintage" is that little metal cover over the truss rod access at the end of the fretboard. That is something that might have been done in the late 60's or early 70's. Oh, and also the rounded corners on the pickups. That sort of looks "vintage," like something they might have done on an old import from Japan. He may have restored it, I'm not saying he didn't. But he may have put a newer neck on it too.

5. Shirts

Shirts

Mar 31, 2009
    i only paid $80 for it so im not like worried if its vintage or not as far as value i just really wanted to learn bass so i bought it frome the dude. im gonna buy a new bridge it shifts around and im thinking about buying new pick ups too

6. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    You might have a hard time finding pickups that would fit that bass. See the rounded corners on the pickups? Normal Jazz bass pickups are squared off at the corners, and it looks like the pickup holes on that body are a tight fit. If you tried to put other pickups in it, you might have to make the pickup holes (routs) larger.

7. Those are DEFINITELY from the 80's-early 90's.They are pretty much a pawnshop staple in this neck of the woods.You done OK for $80.00.But as for me,I'd rather drink a Magnum than play one.Even this early in the day.

8. Shirts

Shirts

Mar 31, 2009
    i figured as much as far a routering the holes, the electronics on it are faulted one of the knobs dosent do any thing

9. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    One of the controls not working probably is a simple, cheap fix, like a broken wire going to a pot, a bum capacitor, or something easy like that. And those might be really great sounding pickups. You should see how good the bass sounds before changing pickups, in my opinion.

10. Shirts

Shirts

Mar 31, 2009
    good point but the top ones cracked and all that but i will take your advice none the less

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    agreed, its NOT from the 60's. 70's are extremely unlikely, but 79 could be possible? (doubt it.) more likely its from mid-late 80s.

any playable instrument for $80 is a good deal though.

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There was an inconclusive thread about this unbranded bass a couple of years ago:

mysterybass.

Looks like the same model, except for the truss rod access.

13. Shirts

Shirts

Mar 31, 2009
    yeah that looks about right except the bridge is further down on mine