1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can any other head(solid state or hybrid) approximate a db 750 tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Just wondering if anyone has had any luck on a "less expensive" version of the almighty 750....I know they are being discontinued. On sale they still go new in the ballpark of 2 Grand...I'm absolutely sure they are worth it...I have read that the AG 500 is not the same sounding animal

As I am not professional or able to spend lots of discretionary income, I can't justify that bill..the weight is also a factor but a less important one..

Looking at amp heads primarily, prefer solid state or hybrid.

Would Mesa amps get me anywhere near that tone?(love Paul Turner's tone on "runaway" live from Abbey Road)

What about a head with something like Tone hammer?

Considering a db 659 pre as a possibility down the road.

Thanks

Mark

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Years ago, someone on here posted up a setting for a thunderfunk 550, suprisingly, very closely emulated the sound of a DB750. It might have been JimmyM? Burke48327 was involved, too.

Not that that's a lot cheaper, but they go used fairly cheap sometimes, and are AWESOME amps.