1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can any pup be active?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Newget, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I'm not 100% about active pups and how they work, but I own 3 basses with active pups! I'm looking to change out the stock Fender Jazz pups in my Marcus Miller series Jazz with Bartolini pups. Can I choose any Pickup from them that's a jazz pup and hook it into the preamp of bass or is there a special pup that can only be hooked up as an active pup?
    Thanx

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Actually a lot of pickups in active basses are PASSIVE, and just the preamps are active. And in your bass you can use any passive pickup that fits.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the pickups in your Marcus Miller are passive, but the bass is active. Assuming you have the stock pickups in there.

4. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    The stock pups are in there, I was wondering if I could put Bartolini pups in.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you use passive bartolini pups, should be straight drop in replacement. I'm not sure where active pickups are coming into this.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

He's confusing active pickups with passive pickups and a preamp, I think... something like that.