Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Any TB Luthiers Help Me?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rogerbmiller, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Happy New Year Talkbassers!

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum I apologize and please put me where I need to be.

Basically, I am considering doing some serious work to a bass or two, namely replacing a fretted fretboard with a new unlined fretboard on some older basses of mine.

I live in NYC so the per hour labor costs are quite prohibative and the pickins are real slim in terms of skilled luthiers to do this work.

I am wondering if any of you know of some reasonable and reliable (i.e. high qualiy) folks who would take on that kind of skilled project. I have no problem arranging shipping to and from so they can be anywhere in the US.

Thanks!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thought of trying this in the Luthier's Corner forum???

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, either there or Setup.

I am moving it to Luthier's Corner, since it is a lot more advanced than most repairs and mods.

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    THanks for putting this thread in its proper place.

This is just to bump it up and also mention that if I cannot drum up a luthier who will replace the board, I will consider a standard fretless conversion.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I don't believe you'll see any follow-up posts to this thread on TB, as it's against policy for luthiers to solicit business within a thread.

if you haven't already received a PM or two in response to your inquiry, you may want to perform a search here and see who has posted of doing a job similar to what you need done - and then PM them to see if they'd be interested and/or available to assist you.

All the best,

R

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Oh, didn't realize that. In that case, I'll search around. But if any non-luthier TB-ers reading this can make sugestions, that would be appreciated.

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey I'm bumping this up. If you are a luthier that can do this or if you know of one, please PM me.

Thanks.