1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anybody explain exactly what the switches do on Hofner violin basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markdavid, Jun 7, 2017.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi
    Have as some will know recently obtained a lovely Violin bass copy, the copy has the usual Bass , Treble, Rhythm/Solo switches which I am guessing are functionally a direct copy of what the switches on the Hofner basses do.

I know the Bass switch when switched on switches off the treble pickup, it also seems to act as a passive tone cut (like completely rolling off the tone control on a passive bass) as the tone is darker than when I just roll off the treble pickup, I am guessing there is a capacitor that is engaged when this switch is on that bleeds off the treble?

The Treble switch when on switches off the Neck pickup, was wondering if it also affected the tone by means of a capacitor (maybe a bass rolloff) ?

Finally the Rhythm/Solo switch , I know this is a volume attenuation switch but was wondering if this has an impact/effect on the tonality (my ears say not but I may be wrong) ?

Thanks

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    You've pretty much got it.
    Rhythm puts in a resistor that drops the volume to 70% of full. It may darken the tone a touch, but I think it's subtle.
    Bass On puts in a .1 uF treble cut cap (with a 6.8K resistor between the cap and ground, which means the cap isn't rolled off completely).
    Treble On puts a .01 uF cap in series for a bass cut.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Thank you, that was a very helpful answer, now that i know the Treble switch gives a bass cut i may have to use that switch more, this bass has the pickups in the cavern configuration so the Treble switch may prove to be very useful

fermata likes this.