1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can anybody explain wha is happening here?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Hi!

Okay, so whenever I play my A stirng and my finger hits the pickup, it makes this annoying pop. I stopped for a while and tapped my pickups near the E string, no pop, near the A string, there was a pop. On the D string, no pop, and the G, a little bit.

Help?

heres a sound clip :http://media.putfile.com/pup-pop

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    raise your A-string bridge saddle a little bit? Maybe it's sitting too low. Some pickups have slightly higher pole-pieces on the A and D, if your A string height isn't allowing for that than this can happen. I'd check that 1st.

3. My bass has covered pole pieces. Its also there when the bass is unplugged, maybe the pickup cover is loose.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    sounds like it. can you tighten it up a bit?

5. I tightened it, its still there.

Its weird because its in the same spot on both halfs of the P pickup.

Attached is a picture that shows where the pop comes from.

(this si not my bass, but its the same kind of pickups)

Attached Files:

6. bump

7. Come on people I need help...

Maybe the pole piece under the cover is higher than the other pole pieces?
    But when I look at the bottom of the PU they all seem to be at equal height...

8. bump...

come on 256 views someone has to know...

9. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Since the spot is in the very center of each pup, maybe it is the cover itself, not the pole pieces that is the problem. If you are able remove the cover, try putting a thin layer of squishable foam across the top of the pup and replace the cover. If you can't get the cover off, it's back to the drawing board.

10. pickup cover? thats weird, what makes you think that?

11. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    I dunno, I guess the same thing that made you think the cover might be loose. The tap sounds like impact to me, not a string oscillation or anything else electronic.

Just a thought that maybe there's a little gap under the center of the cover that is making it act as a diaphram when your finger or fingernail ticks it. If that's the case, a little piece of foam might stop it from resonating.

12. thanks, il keep you updated.

13. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    FWIW, did a forum search for "microphonic" and without digging very deep I found a couple interesting comments:

and
    Interested to hear how your situation resolves.

14. Hmm, I cant remove the covers, this pickups looks weird from the bottom,its like its glued or something, its not like my older pickup, where i could remove the cover. il post pics, this thing is driving me crazy, its making me hate my bass

15. perfect opportunity to upgrade!

16. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I vote upgrade as well.

I know it sucks because you bought the Will Power Middle pickup.

Darn thing is - it looks like the pickup is set in epoxy or something and that cover is only going to come off if it gets REALLY messy, and you probably do not want that.

I say go for a direct replacement - a Dimarzio model P

Sheehan used it for years before they made the will power for him.
    can get the pickups relatively cheap, and even cheaper from a Tb'er here used.

The best thing is - you can adjust or even replace polepieces, you can get the thing repotted (or even pot it yourself) and you can get it rewound if ANYthing goes wrong with it.

Sorry for the lack of advice with your current gear but it seems it might no be worth the effort.

Bad Pickups happen - too bad this one is set up in a casing like an EMG - not very user friendly.

Then again you could send it to dimarzio and they'll fix it for free if it's within five years of purchase.

just something to think about

17. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I agree with this. It is the cover. The cover is more rigid at the edges than in the middle. Try the suggestion above.

18. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    No dice on removing the cover. The Will Power P pickups are encased and to remove the cover would prove to be a very messy and possibly pickup damaging endeavor indeed.

remedy - get a Dimarzio Model P thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

19. is the model p made the traditional way?

20. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    if by traditional you mean that the entire pickup can be taken apart and rebuilt without any problems - then yes.

I recommend the Model P for you because it will sound very much the same as your Will Power Middle but you will not have to worry about an "enclosed" unit - meaning you can get to any part to see what's up if a problem arises - easily.

Like I've said the model P is more user friendly from a repair stand point.