Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anybody help me find strings that fit?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am having a lot of trouble finding a set of strings to fit my Ergo 5 string...the problem is with the bridge / the fifth string. The slot is not big enough to accept the fifth string from most sets. The guy at the neighborhood guitar store was able to Jam a DR hi-beam 125 into the slot, but I could barely get it out when I went to change, I mean it was super tight in that slot and that is not acceptable to me. The strings that were on the bass when I got ahold of her had a B string that actually narrowed down a bit at the ball end rather than getting fatter all the way to the ball. It fit nicely. They had some baby blue thread wound on them if that helps identify what kind of strings I'm talking about. (somebody said maybe fender strings? I thought maybe Ibenez strings?)...anyway strings that taper down at the ball end - what do they call that? Is that what is meant by taper wound (which come highly recomended by JT, so I'll look in to getting some!) HELP - and please don't tell me to go to the local guitar store and look around and ask the people there - I've done that and they don't stock anything that fits my description - they are idiots who just want to take a crack at jamming a square peg in a round hole, then after a few minutes of abusing my bass with every string they have over 105 guage they say 'jeez it doesn't fit...can't you just play it with four? maybe you could just have two 100 guages or like a 105/100/80/60/40 set or something'...the damn idiots! If I know what it is I want I can have them ordered. Somebody please help me find strings that fit!

2. well you could either file the slot or get a professional to do it, or you could just get a set of taper cores.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks for the advice to get some taper wounds...unfortunately I'm not sure what that means - did I get it right in the above quote?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

(click the pic for the BP article)

5. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Go to www.juststrings.com and take a look at Thomastik-Infeild strings. These are of a lighter gauge than most (B string is .118). You can also look at all the other manufacturers and see what their gauges are (most are listed). Good luck and if that doesn't do it, go with VoodooChile's suggestion and file away.

Peace

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    while you are at juststrings.com check out SIT strings they also make a 5 string taper core set. Also Carvins bass strings are taper core. Just keep looking until you find a brand that works for you. There are several brands that offer this type of string

7. Some brands actually make sets with a tapered B string while the rest are conventional. I'm partial to Ken Smith stainless steel taper-cores myself.