Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anybody ID this pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tjclem, Dec 14, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I go this a while ago and I am about to build a fretted 6 and was wondering if I could use this. Does anybody know anthing about it? :eyebrow: I can see no markings. The back is very hard potting material. It only reads 4.73K OHM ?? Made to be used in an active bass? It is 4" long and 1.5" wide. Any help would be great.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

doesn't look like anything I've had but haven't had many soaps. The only potting substance I've seen used in the pups I've had was a resin like epoxy. I had a an old EB-0 that had some funky original looking stuff on the back of the pup but it wasn't potted with it. .

The only thing that really matters in the end is what it sounds like. It helps to know what it is for sales purposes and curiosity but a bit moot otherwise. Not much help but all I've got.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks, I would hate to build a bass around it then find out it sounds bad and that nothing else will fit in it's hole if I remove it....T

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep,

wouldn't do that - or any single pup for that matter. But you could always work in a pickgaurd. I actually raised the bridge enough to get an SD Ric bridge pup flat on the face of a bass just to check it out in order to decide if I wanted to remove the backing plate to drop it in. Where there's a will there's a way. It's in a bass now.

Not into 5/6's but that doesn't sound like a freak soap dimension. I think there's an LP on ebay, or just recently was, by those dimensions. Seems Barts come in that dimension.
    Yep, Bart M4/EMG40