Can anybody identify these strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Turtlerock, May 1, 2019.

1. Turtlerock

Turtlerock

May 1, 2019
    I run a high end studio with a 8038 neve .. I make records and have been recording for over thirty years
    I need some help from the brains trust

I have a 1964 p bass running labella flats
    And I have a 1961 slab bass that I bought fairly recently running round wounds ..
    so the round wounds that were on the bass sound great and played great
    I put on another set of entire ball and they are nothing like the ones I took off .. the age old problem is they were on the bass when I got it it had be hanging in a store for three years and under a bed for at least ten years before that .. in the guitar case was an empty packet of rotosounds old style .
    But I don’t think they are rotos

The thing is the strings are bendy and have some kind of silk or nylon wrap on the core .
    They were amazing to play

The e string is a bit shy of a 105 maybe a 103-104
    But not really light

Black silk wraps both end
    Has anybody got an idea what these strings are .. I suspected tomastik but I cannot find them in the range

Attached Files:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Plain old Fender 7250. Hard to be more generic.

3. Turtlerock

Turtlerock

May 1, 2019
    Do they have a silk wrapped inside core ?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't know but these are Fender 7250.

5. Turtlerock

Turtlerock

May 1, 2019
    Ok great thanks I’ll buy a set and investigate further .

6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    The modern Fender rounds don't have any silks on the ends - they ended that maybe around 2010. I think there's some perception that Fender strings aren't as 'good' as the other big makers. It isn't deserved IMO. Fender strings are excellent just as you have found out.

MCF, AboutSweetSue and tmw like this.
  7. Turtlerock

Turtlerock

May 1, 2019
    for all kinds of reasons i will be really happy if i can just run out and buy fenders tommorow that play like the strings that were on the bass sounded and played , i know a thing or two about what i am doing in the studio , but i am more your guitar playing producer that has great bass guitars then a bass player, which is why i am looking for help . When i look at the makeup of the string the core is definately intertwined with a silk or nylon like a thomastic and i havent seen that on any string i have ever had on my basses , its not what i thought a bog standard fender would of had.. but i am happy to learn . really these old strings could have been setup on the bass and unplayed anytime since the 80s when the owner passed away

8. "Bendy" with silk lining and "amazing to play"? Sure doesn't sound like the Fender 7250 to me.

The Deep likes this.
  9. Turtlerock

Turtlerock

May 1, 2019
    some local studio bass guys are already telling me that fender haven't made strings like that for years and what i can buy today wont match , i dont really want to turn this into a "its old and you cant get them anymore post " , i was kinda hoping somebody said oh yeah they are xyz .. not common but easy to buy online . Ill buy the fenders and see I guess but i appreiciate any insight anybody has especially on the wound core issue .

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fender may not make strings like that today, but there are lots of good strings available nowadays. Anyone that says otherwise is living in a cave.

11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I think GHS Pressurewounds have black silk, but it has been several years since i last used them. The picture to me looks like they could be pressurewounds.

Good Luck!

12. Might try this thread... String Silk Colors?

13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    How bout a pic of those 2 basses? I used to have a 61 slab myself !

14. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    If you can't find the originals, I have used GHS Precision Flats on many Precisions, including single coils. They would be my first choice

15. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Fender 7250's today are still a really good string, 40-100 feel really easy to bend an typically what is installed from the factory. I don't know who makes them for Fender but they work well. I liked their old nylon filament strings but they don't make those any more.

16. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I was thinking the new Fender strings were made by D’Addario?

I much preferred the older black silk Fenders to the new ones. I’m typically more of a flat wound guy for most applications, but those older black silked Fender rounds played very nicely. Too bad they stopped making them.

17. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I thought the same also but since I have both brands I know they are still different, maybe D'Addario make them for Fender but slightly different core/wire wrap gauges? Don't really know but I do like the Fenders, nothing wrong with the D'Addario's either just personal preference.

18. Fender strings are made by D'Addario (since around 2010) but to the Fender specs. That's why D'A XL Nickels and the Fender 7250s are slightly different from each other. The same thing can be said about the D'A Chromes Flats and the Fender 9050 Flats. They do share enough "family resemblance" to be from the same factory but with different tonal characters and feels.

MCF likes this.
  19. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I believe in upgrade to the fender strings without leaving the salon for behind would be LaBella’s. Good luck.

20. Fender strings used to be made by them in Mexico. This changed a few years ago as mentioned and they are now made by D’ addario. This pretty much guarantees that you won’t be able to find the exact same thing.
    I’m not the only one who preferred the Mexican strings, particularly in regards to the pure nickels. It is what it is. I’ve never tried the TI rounds but they should be very slinky and might suit what you’re after. You also have to figure in the “new string vs old string” tone thing.