Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anybody tell me the differences in style between McCartney and Entwistle?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    different techniques??
    basses??
    Performance on stage???

And more???

I love The Who's "Tommy". Do the Beatles have any album compared to that one??

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Beatles have nothing quite like "Tommy"

First, FYI:

The Who's bassist's name is John Entwistle (Deceased last year)

The Beatles's bassist's name is Paul McCartney.

With this info, do a search.

And do yourself a favor and check out the Beatles' Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band.

Now go forth into the net!

3. For Entwistle you want to listen to "Live at Leeds". Compare that to what Blackbird suggested, then try and ask what the differences are.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    John Entwistle
    -Technically a better bassist
    -Bass innovator in many ways (first rock bass solo, the roundwound strings, custom bass, amplification, etc)
    -THUNDERFINGERS (yep, you have to see them in action)
    -Not as skilled in songwritting and singing as Sir Paul

Sir Paul McCartney
    -basslines are just right for the purpose of the song
    -Better songwritting skills
    -Better singing voice (sorry JE! :D)

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I think John Entwhistle and Sir Paul are nothing alike... yep, that's what I think.

6. i would generalize paul's lines as bouncy and melodic, and john's as more rock n' roll. pretty damn different.

7. "Basses?"
    Mcartney used A Hofner and Entwhistle used Mostly fenders but has over 150 Guitar & Basses in his collection (there going for auction on may 15 in London).

"Performance on stage"
    John Entwhistle just stood in one place while The rest of the band was jumping around and breaking guitars. Mcartney sang and and moved around.

"Diffretnt technics"
    I think the who used to Have Pyrotechnics and such, but the beatles never did.

8. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    When i first saw the beatles on Tv i didnt understand that Paul really played bass, the hofner looks like a ordinary guitarr.

What i think is that people dont see Paul as a bass player the see him as the great singer and songwriter that he is.

But that is the whole feeling about the beatles, they have never been regarded as skillfuls instrumentalists, which 3 of them really are.

I mean all people knows about Keith Moon and how great he was on the drums. Ringo is more known as a funny guy in a great group.....

Pete Townshend is known as a great guitarist who smashes his guitars. Harrison is known as the silent one...............

And even John had his moments on his guitars, he was the man who started to use Feedback on songs.......not many people dont know that. He also is the man who have done some really great guitar solos and he was the only man in the beatles who could properly fingerpicking on acoustic guitar.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Where is beetles band?

10. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Actually, McCartney played a Rickenbacker 4001 from '65 (Rubber Soul, Revolver) on.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A big difference between the two bands was that The Who was much more into extended, improvised jams. The Beatles (beetles - Bruce???) played pop songs that people could sing along with.

Because of The Who's extended jams and Moonies crazy antics, Entwistle had a lot of space to fill both melodically and rythmically to hold it all together.

McCartney would have gotten lost if he had to battle between Townshend and Moon. His tone wouldn't have been noticed. McCartney, however, did his own share of ground breaking, with his melodic lines and his sense of rythm.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Similarities: They're both from Great Britain, that's about it.

Other than that: Two very talented musicians who've had incredible musical careers. Both very original. McCartney and Entwistle produced or played on lots of very interesting and influential music.

McCartney's Bass style was more supportive, but nonetheless cool and innovative. McCartney also sang and wrote tons of #1 hits. Not an easy thing to do.

Entwistle's style is more defineable as a thundering rythymic powerhouse Bass style. Very "up-front" and "jam-like". Not neccesarily always "pop" oriented. Though the Who did enjoy many great rock hits, and memorable performances as well.

One can learn alot from both. Go forth with ears open, and have fun!

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't know what you're talking about... BORIS THE SPI DE RRRR.