1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can anyone AB the EMG GZR bass pickup with at least one active EMG P pickup? (P-A or PAX)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeCow, Mar 5, 2018.

1. JoeCow

JoeCow

Jul 12, 2017
    I know this is a real long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask... some people like making comparison videos or audio files so who knows.. Id love an AB comparison between The EMG GZR P pickup (in the traditional p bass location) as well as the P-X and hopefully if possible also the PA-X, would be fine to throw in the original P too just for fun and to round it all out lol.. I know the GZR is passive while the others from the list are actives, I know how actives work, and the pro's/cons for the most part, I have actives in my Ibanez cheap o but they are not EMGs... I've already seen a direct comparison between the P and the P-X before but Im most interested in comparison between the GZR and the actives. Im Leaning between the GZR and the P-X the most which is why comparing the the pickups to the GZR is most important to me.. I've already seen some comparisons between the actives directly at least some of em...

Im having such a hard time deciding for various reasons since I like a wide range of tones from warm to clear/clinical to downright dirty or rather filthy, I dont have a "one sound" that I seek the most like most players seem to have since I like a lot of different things and have many different installments as a result. Maybe thats cause I typically play in 3 drastically different genera's Idk..

its always been part of my problem when upgrading pickups on my left over cheap o's form my first few years. Example when I was upgrading my tradition telecaster (guitar obviously) it took me 2 months even after I whittled down my list of potentials to 3 drastically different sounding pickups cause I had no direct A-B reference. See reason I always opt for A-B style comparisons before firmly choosing (in the SAME or very similar instrument) is because I've been fooled once long ago by buying pickups (for my Yamaha bass) I was stuck between 3 different brands of pickups of course their were no direct comparisons between them so I was SOFl the ONLY comparisons videos/audio I found were all on several different basses using different tones, and styles of play so it didn't help me as much I found the one I thought sounded the best and covered the most of what schools of thought I was stuck between but when I got it, it was not at all that great for me..

however I dont have the funds I used to so I cant do this this time, but luckily the 3 pickups Im deciding on are all EMG pickups so maybe an EMG enthusiast or one of those swap/try every pickup under the sun types of folks has perhaps tried all 3.. or would be willing to make an AB video or audio only comparison. Ideally this would be on the same instrument under the same EQ/tone/volume settings, ideal pickup height, same amp settings, ect.. and playing the same peaces of music.

2. JoeCow

JoeCow

Jul 12, 2017
    at the minimal Id need an Ab of the GZR and the PX or PAX. I know its a lot to ask and Im not expecting anyone to do it but if anyone can Id be like freaking grateful as hell lol. Ive been searching youtube and getting a bunch of videos that have various guitars, setting, and styles of music or comparison videos that dont compare the GZR to another EMG pickup form the list. I already know how they sound against nordstrand and Seymour Duncan and various other types after looking long enough but not what Im sacrificially looking for.. Ive already decided Im punting EMGs in this P-bass no matter what.. I have various bass's with practically every kind of pick up but this is my first jump into EMG P-pickups and im on a limited budget or id just get em all and see which I like best overall.

3. sprintbass

sprintbass

Sep 14, 2010
    Lakewood Ohio
    I have the pax in my PJ....BCQ pre in the mail..... but I love the pax..nice fat tight sound...I wont play anything but EMGs....

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Here's an overly detailed comparison of the GRZ and PX pickups that I did when I switched between the two in the same bass: Geezer Butler signature pick ups

Jim C likes this.