Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone advise me with a few things?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Minibenit, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Minibenit

Minibenit

Oct 10, 2004
    England
    I was wondering if anyone could advise me on any songs to learn to help me get better, At the moment I only really play covers but my main influences are Flea and Tim.C So i have only really learnt similar lines to what they play and made my own stuff up.
    Thanks
    :bassist:

2. Minibenit

Minibenit

Oct 10, 2004
    England
    Any songs to help me with my Slapping, Popping technique?

3. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    If you really like Flea's style and want to learn some good, fast slapping/popping bass lines, check out some old (pre Mother's Milk) Chili Peppers recordings. Blackeyed Blonde was the first song I figured out how to slap by myself and it's a very rewarding feeling. Also check out guys like Victor Wooten and Bill Dickens. They've got distinct slapping styles as well. "Take the Power Back" by RATM is a cool slapped Timmy C. bass line, if you haven't already heard it.

Slapping/popping does take some work to get down, but once you get it, well, you've got it. Just remember to keep your thumb and wrist loose and let gravity do the rest. :) Everyone does it a little different, but these are the guidelines I started from and eventually I found the method that worked for me. Also, remember to keep your bass at a playable height. There are some advanced slapping techniques that you can't do with a bass at your knees. Private lessons (if you can afford them) are, in my opinion, the best way to learn how to play because you are learning from someone with knowledge and experience that can explain everything in sensible terms. Hope I was some help. :D

4. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    There are loads of slap guys out there but you might not like the kind of music they all play if you are into RHCP and RATM. Anyway, if you wanna check em out, Larry Graham from Sly and the Family Stone and Louis Johnson from Brothers Johnson are both essential listening from the 70s and both very traditional funk slap/pop.
    Mark King from Level 42 and Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo are both great from the 80s. Mark King plays a LOT of notes and developed the more solo style of fast machine gun slapping. Of course that's not all he does!
    Marcus Miller is a great groove slap guy. Robert Trujillo who used to play in Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves, Ozzy Osbourne and now Metallica is an awesome slap guy and probably right up your street if you like metal.
    The modern guys Stu Hamm and Victor Wooten both slap well but in different ways. Victor Wooten is the guy to listen to if you want to know how much you really can do with the slap technique (and every other aspect of bass playing). He is unbelievable.
    Those guys are the main ones to listen out for. I agree with Funkonthewall as regards the early flea stuff and Take The Power Back but you've probably heard that.
    Massive tip: Rob Trujillo, Mark King and Victor Wooten. Learn all their stuff and you will be able to play just about every slap thing going. Stu Hamm's Slap Pop and Tap vid from Hot Licks got me started on the fast stuff.

5. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    While Flea's earlier stufff was faster/ more frenetic, I liked his sound and phrasing much better on Mothers Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic. I didnt listen to them after B.S.S.M.

Also, prolly dont need to mention, but will anyway..... Les Claypool does some pretty amazing things too....( check out Frizzle Fry) I remember Primus did a remake live of Master of Puppets ( Metallica ) and it was almost twice as fast as the original and Les slapped/popped the whole thing....

Also check out-

Fishbone - Truth and Soul ( my fave.),

24-7 Spyz - Harder Than You ( pretty good version of Jungle Boogie), Gumbo Millenium

Living Color- Vivid, Time's Up

6. Minibenit

Minibenit

Oct 10, 2004
    England
    Thanks for the help, and Yes, Take the power back has a good line. One of my favourite Slap/pop lines is Get up and Jump, I will check some of those other artists/songs out. Thanks Everyone.