can anyone comment on the classic Flea setup? stingray4, gk 800rb, mesa 2-15+2-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boozy, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, i'm looking for a new amp setup.. i cant try what i want where i live so i've been trying to narrow it down..

i'm wondering if anyone would care to comment on the (what i call) clasic Flea setup.. stingray 4 w/ 3 band eq > gallien/krueger 800rb, low out > mesa 2-15, high out > mesa 2-10.. i know Flea uses alot of effects and his recordings are not really done with this setup so i wont use his sound as an example..

but i already play a stingray 4 and i am looking at a new amp/cab config.. i'm leaning towards mesa cabs because it seems that just about all bass players sounds that i like use mesa cabs.. i just cant decide on 1-15+4-10 or 2-15+2-10.. i'm scared 4-10's will be to middy and not low enough (stingray is already fairly middy)..

i realize that the g/k 800rb is basically uncolored, but also easy to find at inexpensive prices and still offers the basic controls.. i'm not as worried about the head as i am the cabs (i can always get a preamp or just buy and sell heads till i find what i am looking for)..

i also kind of like the biamp idea.. which is why i think 2-15+2-10 would be good.. 1-15+4-10 would seem more ideal for not going biamp.. what about the powerhouse 1000?

i dont want to speel on forever so i'll cut er short (already not short) with some of the bass sounds i tend to like..

good riddance, pennywise, anti-flag underground network (downloaded cause i heard the bass was good sound).., i dunno.. i like clean deep untrebley/unmiddy lows, but with clean crisp highs and mids that just cut thru making each note crisp and distinct.. i also like being able to add just a tad bid of growl to my lows while keeping my highs and mids crisp and clean..

sorry for the speel.. i'm just getting really frustrated :(

if anyone really cares to help me, i can provide more info or songs that i really like the bass sound to (pennywise final day with a little more low end is a good example i think, most good riddance sounds good but would need slight mods)..

sorry if this was "another stupid question".

thanks a bizillion in advance.
  2. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    oooops.. meant to post this in "Amps"..

sorry and thanks.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  4. I believe Flea has always used the 2001RB, but that's not part of the question, now was it?

Anyway, that rig sounds great. Well, I've only gotten the opportunity to play the Ray through a 400RB-III and a Mesa-Boogie 2x15, but if the Ray-2x10-2x15 thing sounds anything like the 400RB-III and 2x15 did, I don't think you could go wrong.

I'm not sure what you want answered, but I read somewhere in there that you were afraid of the 4x10-1x15 setup. The 2x10-2x15 would sound really good, as would the 4x10-1x15. I think it would really depend on how much you want to carry at your gig or whatever.

That's very achievable with either rigs you're going for, but the 2x15 would definitely add the lows you might want.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Depends on the 410. There are many which have good low end (especially those with 'extended bass range' like Eden XLT, Ampeg hlf,...) and thus can be used even without any 15" cab. I don't know the Mesa Boogie 410 though.
    I have a Stingray5 and I would not call it middy at all - rather the opposite. At least if you boost the bass a tad like I do. But I guess it really depends on how you set the EQ and which switch position you use.
    I agree - running 300W into a 115 and only 100W into a 410 doesn't make too much sense IMO - but I admit I have no experience with this setup.
    The Powerhouse 1000 looks impressive, almost scary, but I would not want to haul it around. I'd definitely have 2 seperate cabs instead.