Can anyone compare Accugroove and Schroeder cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jul 17, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to go with. Schoreders are cheaper so that's a plus. Amp is a Thunderfunk TFB420.

Should I save my pennies and get an El Whappo or would a 21012 do the trick just fine for about $800 less?
  2. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    This has been done before. It all comes down to what you are looking for. If you want the sound of what you put into it, get the Whappo. If you like a specific coloration to the tone, get the Schroeder.

Just asking such a broad question won't help you much. Everyone has their preference. You have many who will tell you Schroeder because it works for them. You will also have others that will tell you Accugroove because like me, it is their preference.

Go listen for yourself. I hope this is helpful

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm afraid the accugroove might be more 'hi-fi' than the Schroeder. Is that right?

I'd like something more vintage/old school sounding but aggressive at the same time.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They're both 'modern sounding'.
  5. Th El Whappo is NEUTRAL so it is WHATEVER you want it to just EQ it the way you want it to sound....It has no "sound" of its own, you color it any way you want.....Best cab I have ever had!!!

6. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL

That's a great way to put it. When I said the Accugrooves were "flat" Mark explained to me that they're that way so when you add eq they go into hyperdrive.

Was it Bruce Stone who said it's hard to match up equipment because an amp sounds this way and a speaker sounds that way and some work together and some don't. So some guys hear that the Accugrooves are "flat" and they think that means no character when ity really means that it'll sound good no matter what you hook it up to.

My own first experience with an AccuGroove Tri 210L was that it was invisible. Just the tone of the bass coming through. Transparent is maybe a better word than flat.
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If your looking for a more agressive and old school sound.. I'd be leaning towards the Schroeder..
  8. Dave,

I agree, I have gotten away from saying "flat" about the El Whappo because that description doesn't really do the product or the company justice.....The more experience I have with it and the more I experiment with what it, the more I LOVE it!! My latest trick is to send a Line 6 Bass POD Pro Live into the effects in on your T-Funk amp and use the Whappo to emulate different cab great so far.....I still have a way to go to perfect it but so far so good......

9. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Accugroove = Natural
    Accugroove + Thunderfunk = Supernatural