Can anyone compare the Bag End S15-D to the Dr. Bass Rx 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by appler, Nov 25, 2004.

1. appler

appler Guest

Can anyone compare these two cabinets? I'm in the market for a nice, somewhat compact (but loud) 1x15, and these two cabinets -- I'd probably go used on the Bag End -- fall within my limited price range. (My wallet's on a diet...) Anyway, a sonic comparison would be great, and if there's another similar cabinet that I should be checking out, please let me know. I researched both cabs extensively but never found a comparison between the two. Any info would be much appreciated; thanks for your time! :bassist:
  2. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    im looking for the same info you are.
  3. I'd go with the DR, unless the Bag End came with the ELF processor.
  4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I don't think an ELF(INFRA) processor would do you much good with an S15-D, unless you added an INFRA subwoofer.
  5. appler

appler Guest

Thanks for the replies! angelobp, can you tell me why you'd pick the Dr. Bass cab over the Bag End?
  6. price, weight and warranty.
  7. appler

appler Guest

Very good points, man, thanks. How do they compare sound-wise, anybody?
  8. appler

appler Guest

Which would make a better standalone cabinet?
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    never heard the dr bass cab
    all i can say is the bag end is tops, and their customer service is reportedly great. i've never had to use it but occasionally the store i use has soemeone be stupid and blow one up.
  10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I never heard of DR Bass Cabinets..
    Anybody have a link to the company. Thanks
  11. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ His website pretty much just a price list for the moment - he says that the real site will be up again soon, but it's worth checking out to see what's available. Marc will give you good advice and is a great guy to work with, although he's swamped right now - which you should take as a really good sign.
  12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I wasn't going to weigh in because I only have used the Dr. Basscab, but since people want to know about it , here goes.I have had the 115 cabinet for about a year now, and I love it.I changed the speaker from the Emminence Kappa to the Emminence Beta at Marc's suggestion.I think it sounds better, and the cabinet is about 5 lbs. lighter now also (under 40 lbs.-I should weigh it for grins because I believe it's under 30 lbs.)The sound is full and rich and I can lift it with one hand.I love the tough elastomer type finnish (not the "rat fur") as Marc likes to call it.I got the 8 ohm model so that I could mix and match it with my array of other cabinets when in need.This is my first cabinet of choice on those small gigs where space is of the essence.I use a Thunderfunk head, and the combination is awesome.Again, I have not A-B'd the cabinet with any of the more well known speaker enclosures that are mentioned on this forum, but I am more than satisfied with the Dr. Basscab as a stand alone speaker. Hope that helped.
  13. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Is this cab you have an rx series or birchline series cab?

Also is the only difference between the 2 cabs (birchline and rx) the wood that is used to make the cabinet and the drivers in them?
  14. appler

appler Guest

Thanks again, guys.
    How's the low end (edit: and volume in general -- I need something rather loud, if possible) on your Dr. Bass cab, Mel?
    I'm so torn between these two cabinets! They both seem to rock.
  15. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    The cabinet was an RX, but it was damaged in shipping (the first one) so Marc upgraded it to the birchline (he's a great guy).The cabinet is quite loud and goes all the way down to the 41 cycles for the low E.I have stated on other threads that array speakers (4x8's, 4x10's actually are bassier, have more thump than a single 15), but this cabinet does the job quite well.Marc likes the 2x12 cabinet better because it has the lows without the boominess of a 15.I have never had a problem with the cabinet being boomy.I like to use it with either my 4x8, or my single 12 EV style cabinet.These cabinets compliment each other nicely.The Thunderfunk is an exceptional amp though and it makes all of my cabinets sound great.The single 15 actually gets quite alot of midrange and depending on what bass you are playing, the tweeter is more than adequate for top end.The Kappa 15 will also be a darker sound if you like the Reggae type sounds.The cabinet is very rugged (Marc does a 3' drop test to ensure that they can take a beating).I am sorry that I am really not a techie, so I can't give you specs, but Marc can.Marc says that testers rate them positively to the Accugroove cabinets, and I'm sure that he would let you test drive one of them if you're on the fence.As in everything though, it's all in you're own ears.
  16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds like the dr bass is good stuff
    if you havent heard a bag end s15 i'll give you a little sonic description. It doesn't go as low as some fifteens, but it does a good job with them. the rolloff starts around 50 Hz or so, which can actually result in a "tighter" sound. Two of them have plenty of lows. The cabinet is rated at 103 dB, and came pretty close to being as lound as my old SWR 4x10. The BE also has excellent mids, making it a very "punchy" and "present" cabinet. People often refuse to belive that it's just a 15" driver making all of that noise!
  17. I would agree that you can't judge a speak by numbers alone. The low end roll off of 50 hz sounds high for a 15, but in the real world, probably doesn't make much difference. Is the Bag End a sealed design? There home subwoofers are pretty ballsy but require the ELF processor to go down really low.
  18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope the bag end s15 has a rear port
  19. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I can vouch for the Bag End S-15XD and S-15D. There is nothing out there better in sound, portability, and craftmanship. They are built like tanks and sound huge. They both fit in the trunk of my Audi A4 with an amp on top!!! No other cab but the aguilar GS 1-12 compared but they did not have the mids and were on the thin side of slapping and jaco mids so I sold them after a couple of months. I have had these Bag Ends for 5 years or so and am really not even looking for anything else.
  20. appler

appler Guest

How punchy is the Dr. Bass cab? I hear a lot about the S15-D's remarkable punch.