Can anyone educate me as to the purpose of this latching jack on my bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, Nov 29, 2022.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have a Mayones Partriot fretless bass and it has a latching jack on it.

Can anyone educate me as to the purpose of this latching jack?

Thanks

latching jack.jpg

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Prevent the plug from coming out unintentionally?

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Doesn't do it with a standard plug though..

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Locking 1/4'' Chassis Jacks

From the website:
    "...provide stable and secure connections where accidental disconnect or shock and vibration may occur."

Aqualung60, GlennRH and jibreel like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Great idea at first glance. But if you trip hard enough, that sucker is coming out, and doing a heckuva lot more damage on the way than pulling a regular jack out. I see them on some basses, even have one or two myself, but I don't like them.

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

?? I have the same jack on one of my basses and it has locked a variety of 1/4 plugs. If yours is not locking properly, it could be broken or you may have non-standard plugs.

I have mixed feeling on this sort of jack. I normally loop my cable through my strap for strain relief. It's pretty rare for my instrument cable to come unplugged by accident. Removing the plug from a locking jack requires me to pay a bit more attention to what I am doing (added hassle).

One potential benefit. The 1/4" jack on my #1 tends to make noise and be intermittent if any sort of lateral force is applied. From what I have seen, a properly functioning locking jack will prevent this problem.

A Switchcraft E12B may be a suitable non-locking sub:
    upload_2022-11-29_14-21-31.png
    upload_2022-11-29_14-22-57.png

E12BB (black)
    upload_2022-11-29_14-25-57.png

Attached Files:

mb94952, 6-3-2, MaxSpinrun and 4 others like this.
  7. No, it locks a normal plug ok.

jibreel likes this.
  8. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks for the replies all. Well, on my bass it does not lock at all. Plug goes in and out regardless of the latch. Prob broken. Anyway, now I know....

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  9. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I have one on a speaker cabinet. Someone gave a yank to get the plug out. It doesn’t lock anymore, but it works fine

2112 likes this.
  10. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I have one on my new Ibanez EHB. Found instructions here on TB on disabling the latch and using it as a standard output jack. Very happy with the result.

DiabolicLow B and StayLow like this.
  11. Manticore

Manticore Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal and PNW
    I've always looped my cable around the lower strap button and never had a jack come loose during a performance. This kind of jack always seemed a solution looking for a problem to me.

Clutchcargo, TomB, zenrad and 13 others like this.
  12. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!! Two options: 1.) Jack comes whipping out of instrument causing silence and/or ground buzz. 2.) Jack stays in place causing instrument to fall over and shatter into millions of hard to re-assemble pieces.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I loop my cord over my strap and haven’t had any problems in 35+ years of being a bassist. I would never want one of those.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Keeps the cable connected to the jack if you step on the cable. Yanks out the jack instead of releasing.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, it's not very useful for a bass, but I could see it being beneficial for other types of mobile gear that is assumed to be permanently patched.

Manticore, JRA and Levent like this.
  16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Pittsburgh area
    I put one of these Neutrik plugs in one of my basses that seemed to be particularly prone to cords coming out. Before I put the plug on, I never realized how hard (and what a bit of a pain) it was to get the cord out of it.

But - I can't argue that it works well and there have been a couple of times that I appreciated having it.

The Neutrik is staying in the bass!

jazzyvee and Wasnex like this.
  17. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Pittsburgh area
    As noted, I put one of these in a bass and all I can say is that it takes a lot of effort to get the plug out of the bass. You'll put your bass on the floor before a cord comes out of this Neutrik plug.

18. kickysam49

kickysam49 World Heavyweight Champion Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    This is one of those examples of something that sounds like a good idea but is really a bad idea.
    Short answer, it's a locking jack.
    The jack itself is a good idea for a lot of things. I use them on my pedalboards/patch panels.
    But if your bass/cable gets yanked really hard with a normal jack, the cable pops out. Annoying, but no major equipment failure. If your bass/cable gets yanked really hard with one of these jacks, depending on the situation, your cable is getting shredded, your bass might go flying, your pedals might go flying, etc. etc. Because that sucker is staying locked.
    Locking jacks are great for speakon cables, mic cables, patch panels, etc. Not so much instruments.

19. Same.

NG51 and Levent like this.
  20. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    In other words, they fixed it. :thumbsup:

JRA, Jason Bonilla and Stewie like this.