Can anyone explain the 19mm spacing and how this affects a bass? Im considering a 5 STrng Bassmods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harvey4strings, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Harvey4strings

Harvey4strings

Feb 22, 2012
    Can anyone explain the 19mm spacing and how this affects a bass? Im considering a 5 STrng Bassmods

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That simply means that the space between your strings on a five or six is the same as it is on a four. For a lot of players, fives or sixes with narrower spacing are more difficult to play, especially if they often slap.

FingerDub and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Dead on Doc :thumbsup:

It's the distance between the strings at the bridge.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is important to note because a bass that is wide at the bridge can be narrow at the nut.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Harvey4strings

Harvey4strings

Feb 22, 2012
    thank you fellas

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    The doctor is right on. A 19mm 5-string is the only one I would consider, partly because I have very big hands and big fingers and that's where I'm most comfortable. But some players have smaller fingers and actually prefer the strings to be a little bit closer together which if it's not awkward for you, can help you play a little bit faster.

Reedt2000 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Correct that the 19mm refers to string spacing at the bridge.

I believe it is misleading to say that 19mm is a generally preferable spacing. I strongly prefer 17.5mm or 18mm for a 5, mainly because of the neck taper; and I do plenty of slapping. I’m not alone. Many players prefer the narrower spacing on a 5.

Each player must try both and decide for themselves.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned and really enjoyed lots of basses spaced more narrowly than 19mm. I like 19mm the most, but narrow spacing like 17 or 17.5mm at the bridge works for me if the neck is not tiny like an Ibanez Soundgear.

bgartist, bucephylus and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Right. We all have different hands.:cool:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    The distance from the outside edge of the E string to the outside edge of the G string on both my basses is 6cm. What does that equate to in string spacing?

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    19mm

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Technically it's the measurement between the centers of each string, not the space between them.
    Unless you're using a bridge that allows you to adjust each string left to right individually, there will be less space between the thick strings than between the thin ones.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022