1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone figure out a chord progression from this recording?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by osciphex, Nov 14, 2005.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Here's a link to an mp3 of japanese indie rock icon Mukai Shutoku playing this strange accoustic guitar solo version of a song called Jimon Jitou. This is a rip from a recent appearance on a TV show. There this long sort of spoken word portion followed by a somewhat different bit starting at 4:19.

The sections are really simple; they're both just like 4 chords repeated over and over. I would love to try playing it myself... but I can't figure out what chords these are! ... probably because i don't know that much about chord progressions!

Can anyone listen to the song and figure out what the chord progression is? Especially the portion past 4:19?

Here's the link: http://www.thetokyoincidents.com/tj/02_Jimon_jitou.mp3

oh, "Jimon Jitou" means "Asking myself"

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The chord progression for this song is the same throughout: D - F#m - C#m7 - Bm7. The difference from 4:22 is that chords have more tensions: DMaj7 - F#m11 - C#m7(b9) - Bm11. The recording sounds slightly higher-pitched.

Hope this helps.

3. Exactly correct! I have perfect pitch so I can confirm this.

Good ear Alvaro!!

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Thanks, Geoff. Although I must admit that the slight difference in pitch confused my absolute ear. At first I thought it was in Eb (capoed guitar) but after a few listenings more I got the D key. Only checked it with my keyboard after I was completely sure (I don't like to cheat :smug: ).