Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone figure out a chord progression from this recording?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by osciphex, Nov 14, 2005.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Here's a link to an mp3 of japanese indie rock icon Mukai Shutoku playing this strange accoustic guitar solo version of a song called Jimon Jitou. This is a rip from a recent appearance on a TV show. There this long sort of spoken word portion followed by a somewhat different bit starting at 4:19.

The sections are really simple; they're both just like 4 chords repeated over and over. I would love to try playing it myself... but I can't figure out what chords these are! ... probably because i don't know that much about chord progressions!

Can anyone listen to the song and figure out what the chord progression is? Especially the portion past 4:19?

Here's the link: http://www.thetokyoincidents.com/tj/02_Jimon_jitou.mp3

oh, "Jimon Jitou" means "Asking myself"

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The chord progression for this song is the same throughout: D - F#m - C#m7 - Bm7. The difference from 4:22 is that chords have more tensions: DMaj7 - F#m11 - C#m7(b9) - Bm11. The recording sounds slightly higher-pitched.

Hope this helps.

3. Exactly correct! I have perfect pitch so I can confirm this.

Good ear Alvaro!!

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Thanks, Geoff. Although I must admit that the slight difference in pitch confused my absolute ear. At first I thought it was in Eb (capoed guitar) but after a few listenings more I got the D key. Only checked it with my keyboard after I was completely sure (I don't like to cheat :smug: ).