1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone give me an example of anything in 7/8 or 7/4 time?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by hanx, Jul 1, 2009.

1. this isn't a tab request as such, i just want an example of any song which is in 7/8 (or 7/2, or 7/16, or 7/4 etc...) that i can go find and listen to.

I am trying to fathom the time-signature concept and i keep thinking things are in 7s and being told that's quite unlikely, then deciding i probably am wrong afterall.

:confused: so maybe hearing something that actually is in 7s will help un-confuse me.

Preferably metal, industrial, rock, dark electro, or related genres, because they are the genres i am most familiar with. But any example is worth a look... i mean listen.

2. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    uh.."Master of Puppets"? (has bars of 7/8)
    "Money" by pink floyd? (7/4 or bars of 4+3 depending on how you want to look at it)

Kinda famous examples.

3. "bars of 4+3" instead of 7... :confused:? why break it up like that? written as a bar of four then a bar of three?

4. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Bristol, TN
  5. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Soundgarden's Outshined is primarily in 7/4.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Money is definitely in 7 - apart from the guitar solo! ;)

7. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Alice in Chains - "them bones"

count it like this: "one two three four five six sev"

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think "the Ocean" by Led Zeppelin is in 7/4 ...?

9. is the braking it up just a way to conceptualise it while you're palying?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - this is essential for the band to know where you are.

I have come across odd time signatures in Jazz - where as bassplayer you are often playing quarter notes - but on odd times it's essential to play some kind of figure that "signposts" the feel of the piece and this does break down - so like in "Take 5", it is always played 3 + 2 and it just wouldn't be the same tune, if you played 5 quarter notes per bar!

Of course you still have some freedom in a 3 + 2 5/4 - so you could just play two notes or 3 notes per bar and it would be OK...?

11. The Greek National Dance - Kalamatianos - is in 7/4. Ask a Bouzouki player :).

I've always found that with the "odd" time signatures - 5/4 and 7/4 - no matter how it is written, you'll automatically split the bars into combinations of 2s, 3s or 4s. For example, Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo al la Turk is in 7/4 but the emphasis is 12,12,123, Take 5 (and Mission Impossible) are 123,12 etc.

In a Jazz Trio I was in we used to Play "Take 5". When people used to try and dance to it, the drummer, who was either a genius or a madman, would break into a swing 4 in a Bar and the Piano Player and I would would meet up with him every 4 of our bars and 5 of his. As I said, he was either a genius or mad as a hatter!!.

12. Rush used 7/4 quite a bit. "Freewill" and "Limelight" alternate between 4/4 and 7/4, and the quiet section of "La Villa Strangiato" is in 7/8.

13. caedmondave

caedmondave

Jan 4, 2009
    "the dreaming tree" by dave matthews band is in 7/4. and of course it is a sweet, sweet bass line from stefan.

14. Framus-bass

Framus-bass

Jan 23, 2009
    Money by Pink Floyd is pry your most famous example. And Roger Waters and David Gilmour in their interview for the Dark Side of the Moon documentary that came out a few years ago say its in 7/8.

15. Moog1000

Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005
    UK
    I remember watching this and Gilmour saying it is in 7/8. Though in my mind it is definitely more 7/4 than 7/8...

M.

16. this reminds me of a story someone told me about their boyfriend criticising the people who were headbanging out of time at a meshugga gig...

i think 3+1+3 makes most sense to me...

Actually this gets me thinking, how do you guys count objects? like apples on a table. I heard on some science podcast that people can only sight-count up to three objects, and have to go "1, 2, 3,..." counting them up for more. But to count a group of objects i don't look at them individually, i group them up. So counting those apples on the table, i'd see a pair and a trio to make 5.

And in my preliminary attempts on bass i don't count numbers in my head either, do you? idf i have to play 4 sets of 4 notes, I just kinda play a 4-"shaped" group... if there's more than 4 sets i may have to count them. But you know, like if you roll a 4 on a dice, you don't have to count up 4 dots, cos you see the shape.

17. Is there really any difference between 7/4 and 7/8?

The length of a whole note is totally arbitrary isn't it?
    So 7/2 = 7/4 = 7/8 etc...

18. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    Isn't that intro/verse riff to Schism by Tool in 7/8?

19. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Yes. An eigthth note played 7 times a measure will sound exactly like a quarter note played 7 times a measure. It's purely music semantics, like enharmonic equivalents.
    If Waters and Gilmour call it 7/8, then it alters the way the notes will be written into a measure, but when played, will sound the same.

In other words, if you wrote "Money" as a 7/8 measure, then wrote it as a 7/4 measure, and played each measure, they would sounnd the same.

Am I beating a dead horse yet?

20. horse meat is tough... needs mincing...

cool... writen differently sound same.... sweet :)