Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone give the lodown on this bass please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Jun 5, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

Whilst browsing ebay some time back I noticed a 5 string fretless Steinburger. I searched the other day for 'bass', and saw another auction identical to it (either hes relisted or mass selling this bass - I'm certain its mass sale).

Anyway, is it 'any good' for its price (at about £235 with 1 day to go).

Heres the link, including all of the speccs and numerous pics: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2534977802&category=4713

Thanks again!

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    That seems incredibly cheap for a Steinberger?
    :confused:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's not a Steinberger - it's a "Spirit" - these things sell really cheaply on MusicYo - they're always having deals. But the retail price on MusicYo of $339, is not that different from £255 - the "winner" :rolleyes: will probably end up paying more than retail!! :eek:

The big difference is that a "real" Steinberger is made totally of graphite - whereas these things are all wood and are just mass-produced under licence.

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot for the info Bruce (and others). Would you advise avoiding it then, or would it be an OK deal for around #250(UK pounds, keyboard wont do pound sign). If not, any suggestions for a fretless bass (preferable 4 string to be honst). Im more than happy to look into used (infact would rather buy second hand).

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have one of the four string fretted versions of that bass, yoshi. (I also have a "real" Newburgh Steinberger.) In the past, I owned a pair of the Spirit XT-2 "broom" basses.

All have been very good. Quality of manufacture is quite high, the hardware is good, and the pickups (passive EMG Selects) are workable. All have set up with no problems. That bass you're looking at has a swamp ash body with a thick poly finish and a maple neck. Be aware that the fives tend to have a rather narrow neck.

Very good bang for the buck! Lube the moving parts on the bridge, and it will give you long life. Rob at Status Graphite has a wide selection of good double-ball strings for cheap.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'm guessing that it would maybe make more sense for you to order one from Music Yo, and if you didn't like it, flog it on ebay to get your dosh back - kinda like what the ebayer offering it might be doing.....just a thought!:)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - it looks like the bids on eBay are getting close to the point where you are going to pay more than Music Yo's RRP - which is plainly ridiculous!!

But then - an MIT survey of eBay found that a high proportion of people paid more than retail through eBay - there are a lot of suckers out there!! ;)

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    [bait]

But, Bruce - MIT is an American school. Doesn't that make the data suspect?

[/bait]

;) :D