Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone help identify a mystery bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M.D.S., Jul 23, 2005.

1. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    So on a two week holiday to Holland, I walk into a music shop for a couple of picks and maybe a strap, and I walk out with an old fretless J-bass. :rolleyes:

It was only about £200 and I had been looking for a fretless anyway and this thing sounds great, but unfortunately, there are no identifying marks on this thing at all, other than a tiny cockerel-type thing on the pickguard... I suspect that it may have been assembled from various different parts, as the pickups don't fit the routing on the body and (Although I forgot to take any pictures of the back) I don't think the colour of the neck wood quite matches the body wood in the way you would expect a factory or custom made bass to... I would also guess that its also quite old, judging by the tarnish on the hardware and the fact that the truss rod is only accessible by removing the neck, which I gather is a style that hasn't been used for some time.

The guys at the shop I bought the thing at were very helpful, but didn’t really have much solid information other than what reasonable guesses they were able to make. It seems like the body is rosewood, and it certainly seems to be heavy enough for that to be the case. Apparently the guy who sold it to the shop mentioned Schecter, but there is nothing on the bass that would indicate that...

Anyway, pictures!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And this is the cockerel-type thing on the pickguard - [​IMG] (Sorry about the slight blurring)

Cause I think it's made of various different parts, unless a former owner happens to see this, I doubt I'll get a complete Identification, but if someone could tell me what that bird logo thing is, or maybe give me an idea of what pickups are on this thing that would be great!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Looks to me like a parts bass...especially with that rear-pickup route.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thats really anice bass, it might by from allparts and warmoth and the pickguard MIGHT be the only custom thing on it

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If it were warmoth, I believe you should have some kind of markings in the neck joint...either on the base of the neck, or in the pocket of the body.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    !!! That looks very, very nice, congrats on your find! If the body's a Warmoth, it should have the famous turtle in the neck pocket. (Unless they only started doing this recently, of course.)

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Looks like someone was really gassing for a Victor Bailey :D Just with a pickguard.
    [​IMG]

7. Scotsmen say 'pickguard' as opposed to 'scratchplate?' No offense, I believe I'm of partly Scottish descent(& I kenna fight).

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Looks like a parts bass, but very pretty.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    This just may be a rosewood Schecter. They did make some of those in the late 70's/early 80's (I'm not aware that anyone else did. Very heavy basses...). The pickups on your bass are minus covers, which is why the bridge pup seems too small for the rout. And the pickguard must be a later custom job, since it doesn't even allow for a cover on the neck pup.

*EDIT* Supplementary info: rosewood Schecters typically had all gold hardware and pickguards/control panels. So the black bridge here wouldn't be original either. They also used coil-tapped pickups. If your bass has pull-up pots it's a safe bet it is indeed a Schecter.

10. I remember that bass being offered for sale on a dutch site (www.marktplaats.nl). Must have been the same bass because it also was advertised as being a schecter. I was tempted to bid on it but i didnt.

11. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    First of all, thanks for the info everyone!

And second, a little update -

I seem to have hit a problem... While about to stick some new flatwounds on the bass, I decided to have a look at the neck pocket while I had the strings off and... After taking the screws out, nothing has happened. :eyebrow:

Since I have never taken the neck off a bass before, I may have made some mistake in my un-screwing, but common sense tells me that when I take all the screws out, SOMETHING should fall off! From what I can see it's looking horribly like someone has decided that it would be a good idea to GLUE the neck into the pocket... :(

Any ideas as to what I should do now?

12. If the neck joint is tight, the neck might not just fall off by itself with the screws taken out. This is even more likely if the neck was bolted on not too long after the finish was applied, since the finish can be a little tacky under pressure for quite a while, so the finish might be sticking the neck and body together. I kinda doubt anyone would actually glue the neck in the pocket, though--you might just have to apply a little force to get it to come out.

Mike

13. I've encountered Fender-pattern basses with the necks glued into the pockets before, and since your bass looks like it has been modified (pickguard, no pup covers), it is a prime suspect. This was an unfortunate but common mod back in the day when Schecter was selling these basses, so I wouldn't force it. Since rosewood is not noted for taking strong glue joints, especially with an amatuer at the controls, it shouldn't be hard for an experienced acoustic instrument repairperson to break the joint with heat, often using steam. Another posibility is a previous owner inadvertently dripping oil or viscous polish into the joint, which can create a pretty strong bond when it cures. The solution is the same.

I have a few of those all-rosewood basses. The fretwork is excellent, but the weight is a challenge. Get a good strap!