1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone help identify this 15" mystery cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xoloder, Sep 25, 2010.

1. xoloder

xoloder

Aug 14, 2009
    San Leandro, CA.
    Hey guys, I just got this cabinet at a garage sale for nothing. It looks like it has a 15" car woofer in it. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about amps/cabs. Does anyone have any idea or info as to what kind/type of cabinet it is? The nameplate is missing and there are no other identifying markings on it other than a serial number on the back. I have been planning on upgrading to a small 110 combo than can drive a aux cab, so my hope was that with a decent driver this thing would be good enough for noodling around in the garage. Please excuse the poor phone pics as I currently don't have a camera. The dimensions are 24" high x 19" wide x 13" deep. Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    My opinion? FWIW, it certainly looks like some kind of instrument cabinet, not car or home audio. 1/4" in/thru and a 15" speaker, plus the vinyl, white piping ang grill to me scream instrument. The fact that it has a 15" makes me think bass, but you never know what some dummy stuck in there. You are also clueless about wattage handling, unless the speaker is labeled somewhere. Can you get a pic of the speaker magnet?
    I have an old Sears Silvertone bass cab that came with a old 15" Jensen in it, but I doubt it could handle more than 15 or 20 watts. I have it hooked up to a 15 watt practice amp, and, for what it is, it rocks.
    As for your cab, if it is built fairly sturdy, IMHO there's no reason you couldn't yank the speaker that's in it and replace it with a good 15" and run it. If the 110 combo you're talking about doesn't put out much wattage, I'd go ahead and plug it in and try it out. Worst case, you blow the speaker and have to replace it. Your talking about doing that anyway.

3. Could be an old Traynor, metal handles, trim, ports don't look right though.

4. xoloder

xoloder

Aug 14, 2009
    San Leandro, CA.
    oops. sorry, i should have been more specific. it is definitely a car woofer (olympian hifonics) inside. i figured i would replace it with a proper driver and it should be fine. i'm hoping to get a gk or carvin small combo with decent power to drive a new(replaced) 15. just for laughs, i attached an old 65 watt monoblock poweramp to it and ran through a couple of different preamps to see what i could get from it. if it wasn't for my wife, my neighbors would hate me. it's loud and ugly. but i could certainly have some fun with this set up for sheer noise factor alone, which i enjoy on occasion. i happen to have 2 of these amps. if i had a smaller cab i could really set up quite the ghetto biamp system. hmmm...

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'll guess Univox...but I have no real reason to say that other than an initial gut reaction. I've seen that port design somewhere...