1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can Anyone Help Identify this HOFNER? - 60's / 70's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usedtoplaymore, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Need to make a quick decision - tuners are marked west germany but not Hofner - body is stamped Hofner made in Germany - looks like original case and electronics - Anyone??? It was bought in 1978 used from a pawn shop is all I know - could use the help.... Thanks - comments appreciated

Attached Files:

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I had a '67 which had the later style pickups. Maybe TD or someone can pinpoint it better for you.

Does the headstock have a raised plastic logo or a decal?

It probably doesn't say "Hofner Original" on the back...does it?

3. I owned one...a '67 also...from new; this looks like the real deal. As I recall (traded mine away in 1990) the 60's models had a raised plastic Hofner logo. Other than "made in western Germany" on a plastic nub on the heel of the neck, there wasn't much else (besides the Hofner on the front of the headstock, of course) identifying them back then.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    It's either a 65 or 66. More than likely a 66, for a whole bunch of reasons.

You can always remove the control panel and read the codes of the two volume control pots. They'll read 250k_ _ _. The first two digits after the 250k are the week and the last digit is the year. So an example would be 250k246 = 24th week of 66. Another would be 250k467 = 46th week of 67.

Now, these is only the dating of the volume pots, but because Hofner was making so many guitars and basses between 65-68 the pots were rarely in their inventory for any period of time. They went through them very quickly, so it's safe to say that the pots are very close in age to the instrument they were installed in.

TD

5. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I can't help you, but that's a really pretty bass.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I hope he's out getting it. Case and pickguard...nice find.

Edit: Hey TD, do you know when they switched the headstock logo from the plastic thing to the decal? My '67 had the decal, and a little sticker on the back of the headstock which said "Hofner Original". I don't think earlier ones had either.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks for the link. They show a '67 with the newer pickups and the plastic logo. My '67 had the newer pickups and a decal, so I guess they changed headstock logos in the first half of '67.

8. Got this pic of the back of the headstock - no serial and tuners are not anything I have seen on a Hofner -

Looked over the other sites (Thank you) -

Doesn't say Hofner Original and the Headstock Hofner Logo is not inlaid it appears plastic - but I am hearing this second hand - I will go see it this afternoon

Anyone have any comments on the tuners or no serial?

Again thank you all for your comments - I know a lot about Fenders - but little about Hofners

Attached Files:

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The tuners are not original, they are Schallers. It does look Like a '65-66 to me. Here is my '65-'66 for comparison 100_2239. [/IMG] 100_2238. 100_2241.

10. Nice looking Hofner - and in great shape.

Quick question - does yours have the serial number or partial SN stamped into the back of the Headstock?

11. Yea, those are def. replacement tuners. You might also take a look at the end of the trapez that anchors to the bottom of the bass. I believe the early models, like the ones today, had "Made In Germany" stamped into the metal.

12. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    No Serial # stamped in the back of the headstock, no serial # anywhere as was the case I believe with 60's Hofners. At the heal of the neck it is stamped Made in western Germany. I'll try and get a shot of the tuners up. Also note my bass has a replacment guard I made about 30 years ago the material doesn't quite match and The hight adjustment screws from the bridge I took off to get the action lower.

13. headed out to go see it in a few hours - and decide - will let the thread know what happens and thanks for all of the help!

14. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Headstock pics ! Good luck hope you bring it home ! What are they asking ? hofnerheadstock002. hofnerheadstock004.

15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You're going to want to check to see if the neck has been reset on this bass if your serious about buying it. If it hasn't been reset yet, it will need to be soon, guaranteed. That will cost you about $400.00 US.

As for serial numbers, Hofner didn't start using serial numbers in general until the year 2000. Prior to that the only Hofner's to have serial numbers stamped (on to the back of the headstock) were ones ordered by their European distributor, Selmer of London. They specifically wanted and ordered all of their Hofner's with factory stamped serial numbers.

TD

16. Played it - nice tone (even on older strings) all electronics worked - it is a 1966 - per the electronics board -

neck was straight - nice and flush to the body no lifting or separation or bend

Laquer was cracking on the body, not the neck - much nicer condition than I thought - He is trying to see if he still has the original tuners - case was falling apart -

I will get it for a little under 1,000 US - assume that's in line with value -

Thanks to all who responded to my requests -

17. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Under 1k sounds cool and I think you can get original tuners from Hofner.