Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can anyone help me figure out noise problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejeez, Dec 23, 2004.

1. thejeez

thejeez

Dec 19, 2004
    Hello all.

I am having a problem with my sound. I am playing a dean bass (not sure which model) through a gk800rb head, alesis power conditioner, to two peavey cabs - a 1x15 and a 4x10. The problem is that i get a noticible hiss when i am holding the guitar, but when i touch the strings it goes away for the most part (i know jazz style basses have some hiss, but is this a usual problem?) It is pretty obnoxious when i am not touching the strings. any idea where i can look first to quiet this setup a bit? thanks!
    Jake

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Your Dean has a grounding problem.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, try a search in setup and pickups for "grouding" and you will see that a lot of people have this problem. It can be VERY difficult to deal with and boosting treble makes it worse.

You can shield the cavity and check the wiring to make sure that all the controls are making contact and following to the ground lug of the jack.

I've decided to only go with active pickup systems in the future.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it could be your head, the bass, or the wall that has the grounding issue. active or passive makes no difference. single coil pickups will hum a bit when soloed, although sheilding can help. Excessive hum that dissapears when you touch the strings can indicate a ground issue somewhere